Bay Area BYCers!

Quote:
lol.png

Quote:
Got that too, but was craving pate once and saw liver in thw store. I changed the way I had always had to eat it and now I have grandkids that call and ask if I'll make it. Only one of my daughter's really likes it. So 1 out of 6. Not great odds, but we are talking liver. LOL

I'll eat Liver & Onions with you any ol' time Kim. I used to have a Liver for Lunch bunch that would meet to enjoy a liver lunch together whenever I would fix it. Maybe they are enjoying it in heaven now.
Aaron has been working all day & has one of the new pens ready to move birds into. I think I am going to run all the B/B/S Ameraucanas together in there. I have them all wing tagged so I will be able to identify where they came from. I will have a small pen for Harry Shaffer's Lavender Ameraucanas that way. I guess I could run some of the Blacks split to Lavender with them. I am not so good with genetics & need to look things up before I do them. Thanks to Taylor & Cliff I was able to get bell feeders resonably. Tomorrow will be a big move day & we need to go pick up the other peach bin I bought. Pretty soon I will have everybody outside & not much in the brooders.

Quote:
Hey - if it is affordable Victorians you are looking for, look in Vallejo. There are some really great ones here, and they are really cheep right now. If you are worried about the bad rep - (some of it is undeserved), there are also some nice ones in Benicia, although they cost a little more and there are less of them.
I used to have a colonial revival in Vallejo, but gave it up for land - still miss the house, wish I could have moved it here.

Quote:
So sorry to hear about Ginger, hope her adopted babies are all ok
sad.png
hugs.gif

The babies are fine, put them in with all the other million chicks I have now...but again I couldn't sleep. I just can't figure out what happened to her

Quote:
So sorry to hear about Ginger, hope her adopted babies are all ok
sad.png
hugs.gif

The babies are fine, put them in with all the other million chicks I have now...but again I couldn't sleep. I just can't figure out what happened to her

Hi Cheryl,

Sorry to hear about your Brahma. Didn't you lose a couple earlier in the summer too? Wasn't that because the automatic door opener was opening too soon? If you haven't done it, set the thing to open after 8:00 in the morning. Personally I would set it to open mid morning all year long.

I read the predator FAQ here and it said Mountain Lions will take a chicken several miles away and eat it. I would think that feline behavior would be similar. I read about a lady that had a feral cat problem where the cat would wait at the run ladder and snag a chicken as it came out. We just figured out that one of our cats is a Coon Cat. He is neutered and weight 20 pounds. The Males weigh between 15 and 25 pounds so would possibly be able to get even a big chicken like at Brahma. I would set a trap. If the cat was used to people, the scare eyes may not help either.

Of course that chicken was gorgeous, so maybe a predator of the two legged variety stole her?

Bye,

Ron

Quote:

Hi Cheryl,
Sorry to hear about your Brahma. Didn't you lose a couple earlier in the summer too? Wasn't that because the automatic door opener was opening too soon? If you haven't done it, set the thing to open after 8:00 in the morning. Personally I would set it to open mid morning all year long.
I read the predator FAQ here and it said Mountain Lions will take a chicken several miles away and eat it. I would think that feline behavior would be similar. I read about a lady that had a feral cat problem where the cat would wait at the run ladder and snag a chicken as it came out. We just figured out that one of our cats is a Coon Cat. He is neutered and weight 20 pounds. The Males weigh between 15 and 25 pounds so would possibly be able to get even a big chicken like at Brahma. I would set a trap. If the cat was used to people, the scare eyes may not help either.
Of course that chicken was gorgeous, so maybe a predator of the two legged variety stole her?
Bye,
Ron

Thanks, no we lost the others in the summer because we weren't living at home becuase of the flood, renter left the doors open and no dogs at home to ward of predators, hence the loss.

This time, I was over at the ranch working on the new pens and she with babies, along with all the other hens were free ranging at home, the 3 dogs were home too (and wouldn't touch any of the hens etc). Very odd that she was the only one taken. Many people are speculating it was a 2-legged abduction! I hate the thought that someone was in our backyard, but maybe after someone saw the price that the auction went for, thought maybe they could steal the whole flock, fortunately they aren't at the house. If that is the case, I'm doubly sick about it. Couldn't sleep worrying about it.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi Cheryl,
Bye,
Ron

Thanks, no we lost the others in the summer because we weren't living at home becuase of the flood, renter left the doors open and no dogs at home to ward of predators, hence the loss.

This time, I was over at the ranch working on the new pens and she with babies, along with all the other hens were free ranging at home, the 3 dogs were home too (and wouldn't touch any of the hens etc). Very odd that she was the only one taken. Many people are speculating it was a 2-legged abduction! I hate the thought that someone was in our backyard, but maybe after someone saw the price that the auction went for, thought maybe they could steal the whole flock, fortunately they aren't at the house. If that is the case, I'm doubly sick about it. Couldn't sleep worrying about it.

Yes! Get a padlock and keep a good barking dog handy or whatever security needed to keep thief's out. Your chickens are very tempting. I saw an auction on ebay for eggs from chickens like yours. They sold for $200.00 for 10+ eggs.
ep.gif

Ron

Quote:
I have 3 dogs, but they probably invited them in for tea! The quad I sold was $800 - I just put of padlock on the breeder flocks I have at the ranch last night.... I'm just so sad Ginger must feel awful without her babies, she didn't move a muscle without them right by her side

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom