Bay Area BYCers!

Quote:
Yay, my BW girls from Jeremy also started laying this week. They're 27 weeks old. And the eggs are adorable!

Hey Renee!
hugs.gif
How is life down South?

I'd love to see pictures of your birds, too. Is that Wickham in your avatar picture?

27 weeks sounds about right for POL. I've still got some freeloaders from this Spring that haven't given me eggs... I think the days are just too short now.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yay, my BW girls from Jeremy also started laying this week. They're 27 weeks old. And the eggs are adorable!

Hey Renee!
hugs.gif
How is life down South?

I'd love to see pictures of your birds, too. Is that Wickham in your avatar picture?

27 weeks sounds about right for POL. I've still got some freeloaders from this Spring that haven't given me eggs... I think the days are just too short now.

Hey Jeremy,

Yup, that's Wickham. We recently re-homed Willoughby because there was just too much testosterone here for the girls. Wickham is showing signs of being a very good roo. He is ever vigilant, he does the treat call, and he's very concerned when the girls are laying. It's very cute. He still doesn't like us to touch him, but I'm cool with it as long as he's good to the girls. Pictures may have to wait. We don't have Internet at home and I have trouble uploading pics to websites from my iPhone. Maybe I can text you pics.

Quote:
I have lost a few young ones in the grow out pens. We may have to go back to the nipple waterers. We replaced that system with the hanging automatic wayerers but they are running into them running around in the pens & splashing water everywhere then they get wet & wet their bedding. We were trying to do a good thing going to that expense to put in the auto waterers but it looks like the old system kept them dryer. The hanging ones work great for the bigger birds that are out in open pens on the ground.

shoot karen I was thinking that I would install one too in the brooder but I guess I'll stick with filling the water when I do the food. Chicks are still so wobbly and I've way too many of them!!

I had 28 basque hens hatch while I was on vacation THANKS AUNTIE CHOOKLET!! They are so friendly, just like the website says!!

I have a friend looking for some BLRWs does anyone have some hens?

Quote:
I do have agroup of BLRW but I want them to all go at once. I think there are 3 pullets & 3 or 4 cockerels. I need the pen space. $100 will get them all if they go soon but I haven't advertised them yet. I could only do live pick up & don't feel like there are enough BYCers in my area to make that possible & I hate selling good bird cheap to CL people that don't know one from the other. Is that wrong of me????

Quote:
As far as the waterers go they would be fine on open ground but my grow out pens as you know are recycled peach bins & hold the water in the bedding on the floors. I am thinking I could knock the bottoms out & set them on ground & maybe solve the problem. At least them the water would leach trough to the ground. I hate losing the young ones that way. Very discouraging...........

Quote:
I do have agroup of BLRW but I want them to all go at once. I think there are 3 pullets & 3 or 4 cockerels. I need the pen space. $100 will get them all if they go soon but I haven't advertised them yet. I could only do live pick up & don't feel like there are enough BYCers in my area to make that possible & I hate selling good bird cheap to CL people that don't know one from the other. Is that wrong of me????

You know how I feel.... I'm sure she will take them all

Quote:
As far as the waterers go they would be fine on open ground but my grow out pens as you know are recycled peach bins & hold the water in the bedding on the floors. I am thinking I could knock the bottoms out & set them on ground & maybe solve the problem. At least them the water would leach trough to the ground. I hate losing the young ones that way. Very discouraging...........

Not a bad idea! What about maybe putting very fine hardware cloth on the bottom

Quote:

Maybe you should join this thread. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=8074286#p8074286

Walt

Ooh, Karen, I'll take those BLRW! I didn't know you were getting rid of yours. What lines are they? I can be up this evening with a crate if you want to sell them to me, but I'd need directions again as I've forgotten.

Back
Top Bottom