Bay Area BYCers!

Here I thought you were going to be my inspiration - then I read the second sentence! I should know better than to look for self control here!
cool.png

I have some bantams, Legbars and Marans hatching as I type (trying not to hover) and am setting more Marans and Brahmas and maybe some Tolbunts tomorrow. I keep saying I am going to turn the incubator off now...I might have a problem!

LOL. I can't believe I haven't incubated all year long, usually I'm up to my ears in chicks right now!

How many Legbars did you hatch? All pullets?
big_smile.png

I'm flying home to Texas tomorrow and there just so happens to be a guy who breeds Cream Legbars in my hometown... I might be paying him a visit the day before I fly back to California...
We'll see.
hide.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks! I'm excited about these eggs, they're a brand new color of Sussex and they have a special gene that I just love!

I plan on keeping some hens as pretty layers to replace a few of the older girls in my flock and then eventually use them for a breeding project.

LOL. I can't believe I haven't incubated all year long, usually I'm up to my ears in chicks right now!

How many Legbars did you hatch? All pullets?
big_smile.png

I'm flying home to Texas tomorrow and there just so happens to be a guy who breeds Cream Legbars in my hometown... I might be paying him a visit the day before I fly back to California...
We'll see.
hide.gif

POULTRY CLASS @ Santa Rosa JC ... here's from another chicken group that posted this, if you haven't seen it yet ... I'm going to sign up on Monday and see if I can take the class as P/NP or as audit ... I'm not interested in taking any more exams!

--- In [email protected], "dfamini" <dfamini@...> wrote:
>
> The Santa Rosa Junior College Agriculture Department is proud to announce that Poultry Husbandry (AnSci150) course is being offered THIS FALL SEMESTER.
>
> I need your help. This class currently has 13 enrolled students. If we don't get to 20 students by Aug 20th the class may be cancelled and not offered again for many years.
>
> This will be a comprehensive and hands-on class covering all aspects of chicken husbandry.
>
> Topics will include:
> Poultry Handling and Restraint using the SRJC's layer flock(s)
> Poultry Housing and Construction (with an option of building a 50 layer starframe house in class)
> Layer Evaluation (Examination to determine length and duration of egg production)
> Incubation
> Egg Grading including Candling
> Brooding and Chick Husbandry (including chick vaccination)
> Meat Bird Husbandry (including the raising of broilers on campus with Salatin style chicken tractors)
> Broiler Processing
> Layer/Broiler Economics (focusing on the small farm/Farmer's market size operation)
> Poultry Parasites and Control
> Chicken Necropsy
> Wound Management/Chicken First Aid
> Biosecurity and Infectious Disease Control
>
>
> Full Details below:
>
> For Fall 2012 the Section Number is 0254.
> The course is AnSci150, 3 semester units, Tuesdays 1-4pm, Starts Aug 21st ends Dec 18th.
>
> This is your chance to learn, explore, and participate in all aspects of the delightful world of chickens. This will be a comprehensive overview of the poultry industry at all scales: small/backyard flock, mid/small-farm flock, and industrial scale agriculture.
>
> The primary instructor will be Dr. Dan Famini. Dan is a third generation Sonoma County poultryman, a practicing veterinarian, and an instructor in the SRJC Ag Department. Please email dfamini@... with any questions.
>
> This class is at the SRJC's Shone Farm campus (off River road in the Santa Rosa/Forestville borderlands) on Tuesdays from 1-4pm.
> Actual hands-on management and evaluation of the birds and facilities will be the foundation of learning. At the farm we have two layer flocks (50-100 birds each) in both a hoop house and pasture/egg-mobile husbandry models. Addionally, we will have at least one round of broilers, tentatively planned to be raised in a Salatin style chicken tractor model.
>
> Depending on student interest, other on-site poultry activities and/or fieldtrips to existing operations will also augment the existing curriculum.
>

POULTRY CLASS @ Santa Rosa JC ... here's from another chicken group that posted this, if you haven't seen it yet ... I'm going to sign up on Monday and see if I can take the class as P/NP or as audit ... I'm not interested in taking any more exams! --- In [email protected], "dfamini" wrote: > > The Santa Rosa Junior College Agriculture Department is proud to announce that Poultry Husbandry (AnSci150) course is being offered THIS FALL SEMESTER. > > I need your help. This class currently has 13 enrolled students. If we don't get to 20 students by Aug 20th the class may be cancelled and not offered again for many years. > > This will be a comprehensive and hands-on class covering all aspects of chicken husbandry. > > Topics will include: > Poultry Handling and Restraint using the SRJC's layer flock(s) > Poultry Housing and Construction (with an option of building a 50 layer starframe house in class) > Layer Evaluation (Examination to determine length and duration of egg production) > Incubation > Egg Grading including Candling > Brooding and Chick Husbandry (including chick vaccination) > Meat Bird Husbandry (including the raising of broilers on campus with Salatin style chicken tractors) > Broiler Processing > Layer/Broiler Economics (focusing on the small farm/Farmer's market size operation) > Poultry Parasites and Control > Chicken Necropsy > Wound Management/Chicken First Aid > Biosecurity and Infectious Disease Control > > > Full Details below: > > For Fall 2012 the Section Number is 0254. > The course is AnSci150, 3 semester units, Tuesdays 1-4pm, Starts Aug 21st ends Dec 18th. > > This is your chance to learn, explore, and participate in all aspects of the delightful world of chickens. This will be a comprehensive overview of the poultry industry at all scales: small/backyard flock, mid/small-farm flock, and industrial scale agriculture. > > The primary instructor will be Dr. Dan Famini. Dan is a third generation Sonoma County poultryman, a practicing veterinarian, and an instructor in the SRJC Ag Department. Please email dfamini@... with any questions. > > This class is at the SRJC's Shone Farm campus (off River road in the Santa Rosa/Forestville borderlands) on Tuesdays from 1-4pm. > Actual hands-on management and evaluation of the birds and facilities will be the foundation of learning. At the farm we have two layer flocks (50-100 birds each) in both a hoop house and pasture/egg-mobile husbandry models. Addionally, we will have at least one round of broilers, tentatively planned to be raised in a Salatin style chicken tractor model. > > Depending on student interest, other on-site poultry activities and/or fieldtrips to existing operations will also augment the existing curriculum. >
I would take that class if it was near me!

Just to let you all know that I signed up for the Poultry Husbandry class (as P/NP) this morning at the SRJC Petaluma campus. Very nice and helpful lady at the registration desk, lives in Petaluma (about 3 blocks from me near Casa Grande HS), and is very interested in getting some chickens for her family!!! The registration fees, parking, units/credits all came to $217.00, not including the books. The class is taught by a poultry vet from Sebastopol.

Hello Everyone,
I recently joined BYC so I thought I'd come by and say Hi to other bay area locals. I'm new to chickens and don't actually have any yet, still in the planning phase. It's cool to see there are people close by who are into raising chickens as well, most of my friends just give me a weird look and ask if I'm going to eat the chickens when I tell them I plan to have a small backyard flock. Chickens as pets seem to confuse them
hu.gif
If anyone has a tips for building a coop that will withstand the fog and salty air of the coast please let me know
big_smile.png
I want me chickens to be as happy and healthy as possible. I look forward to hopefully getting to know other chicken crazy bay area locals!

Back
Top Bottom