Baytril or Cipro?

Pics
I wonder if it's because she's not completely well yet? Seems like there are many variables that could be behind her color. Does she spend any time outside soaking up the sun? Their feed has lots of stuff in it specifically for poultry, maybe that plays a part? The medications could be working on the infection but causing imbalances elsewhere. I'm not sure to be honest with you. How is she acting? Other than her color, does she seems to be improving? Only 2 days until the Baytril is there, right?
-We live in the land of perpetual overcast, so not a lot of sun to be had, lol. But no, she's been inside since before Christmas. And the air quality outside is bad right now, so I don't think taking her out would do her any good.
-The lack of her normal food isn't helping I'm sure, but it doesn't mix well enough with the water to tube feed. All the particulate settles out and clogs up the tube. :p
-I'd say she's kind of holding steady at this point? Maybe improving a tiny bit? She's been trying to walk unsuccessfully. She gets up but then sits down again almost immediately. I think she's still very tired. I've put little pieces of her normal feed in front of her and she'll pick them up, but then drops them again. I'm not sure what that's about.
-I got a notification that the Baytril is coming today! I assume I should stop the Tylan water altogether and just do the Baytril, right?

Yes, switch over to the Baytril and quit the Tylan.

Her comb has what I think of as the "spoiled lunch meat" look that I associate with a hen with reproductive cancer. It directly causes hormone interruption. But a severe infection could do it, too.
Well, let's go with "severe infection" for now. I'm not mentally prepared to deal with cancer at this point. I just need the Baytril to work. :fl:hit

Got an accidental carpet poop while I was weighing her this morning so I can calculate her Baytril dosage.

Here it is for consideration if anyone is interested:
IMG_9526.jpg

Ok. I weighed her. I did multiple types of units just to check consistency.
Measurements I got were:
-2 lbs 3.63 oz = 1010.0935 g (gonna throw this one out since it's not consistent with the others)
-1,022 g = 2.253124 lbs
-1.021 kg = 2.253124 lbs
-1.023 kg = 2.255329 lbs

So, she is 2.253 lbs for dosage calculation purposes.

So, if we're doing 0.068 mL/lb of weight, that would be 0.068 mL x 2.253 lbs = 0.153 mL of Baytril twice daily for 3-5 days.

Can someone verify my math? I don't want to mess this up.

HUGE BREAKTHROUGH GUYS!!! I've been setting Ildi in front of the "feeding station" every day, just to see if she's interested at all. She hasn't been. Didn't even acknowledge the feed or water. Today I set her there and she actually took a little sip of water and a couple bites of food from the bucket. She was too tired to keep eating from the bucket, so I took a little dish of food and held it down for her.
IMG_9549.JPG
IMG_9598.JPG

She actually ate! And of course Limpy Jr. had to come eat from the bowl as well, but that's fine. I think his interest help generate interest in her.

Now, she still didn't eat enough to sustain her by any means, so I'm still going to tube her, but I just wanted to share this huge breakthrough!

P.S. Does her comb still look like "spoiled lunch meat" or is it looking a little healthier than that?

She ate some spinach and a big egg meal as well!
IMG_9601.JPG

Her crop feels like half a ping pong ball maybe. I might hold off on the tubing for a few hours and see if she wants to eat more on her own. Is that an ok idea? I'm still gonna syringe the dog/cat food though, and some water with her probiotics.

Good plan. As long as she's inclined to eat on her own, don't tube. Prolonged tubing fills the crop and prevents the normal hunger signals reaching the brain, and soon hunger is forgotten and so is interest in eating. Tubing fluids is a better alternative as that actually works in favor of the crop emptying and triggering hunger.

When deciding to cull a sick chicken, it's good to tap into your own intuition about your chicken and let her behavior tell you if she still wants to fight or not. You can tell when a chicken has given up.

Also, not every chicken keeper has time and knowledge to treat a sick chicken, especially in a large flock. There is no shame in culling a sick chicken in this case. It all goes to you own individual management of your flock. It boils down to what's right for each flock keeper.

Back
Top Bottom