Baytril question

CrazyChicken Lady

My Ducks are in a row🦆🦆🦆
May 25, 2020
Missouri
My Pekin Duck has bumble for the the second time. The first time Baytril effectively and quickly helped her, my question is, can I use it again? I treated her the first time in February I believe. Will she be immune to it or will it work again? And will it hurt her? I’m so frustrated. Half my ducks have bumble and my run in smooth, clean, dirt. They have access to swimming almost every day and free range often. How do I prevent this? It just keeps coming back.

Thanks in advance

@shawluvsbirds
@HeatherKellyB
@Miss Lydia
Sorry to bother you but I know you guys have ducks. Bumble foot has just really discouraged me and I don’t know how to stop it, how do you help your ducks? Or do you?

My Pekin Duck has bumble for the the second time. The first time Baytril effectively and quickly helped her, my question is, can I use it again? I treated her the first time in February I believe. Will she be immune to it or will it work again? And will it hurt her? I’m so frustrated. Half my ducks have bumble and my run in smooth, clean, dirt. They have access to swimming almost every day and free range often. How do I prevent this? It just keeps coming back.

Thanks in advance

@shawluvsbirds
@HeatherKellyB
@Miss Lydia
Sorry to bother you but I know you guys have ducks. Bumble foot has just really discouraged me and I don’t know how to stop it, how do you help your ducks? Or do you?
The Baytril question I don't know for sure about but I would assume it should work as long as there's been some time in between when she had it before.

The trouble is pekin ducks are so heavy they generally have a reoccurring issue once they've gotten it the first time.

Hard packed dirt is really bad for their feet. If there's any way you can start filling your run with straw pine shavings dry leaves grass clippings... Anything to make the ground softer and something to absorb the poo.

Even sand would be better than just dirt. You might want to steer clear from pine shaving since you already have an issue some of those pine shavings have sharp edges on them.
Read up on deep litter method.
That's basically what I do in my duck areas.
Not saying they still can't get bumble..but it helps.

Okay-I’ll try and make the run softer. I’ll had problems with the idiot ducks eating sand so I’ll most likely try something else
I don't think it would hurt them one bit to eat sand I'd be the same as eating grit. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Also I don't know if antibiotics alone will be enough.
For your pekin anyway.
Unfortunately most people have to do the soaking in Epsom salts.. apply clear iodine for a few days and then work on picking that black scab off.
You need to get that pus core out for it to totally clear up. 🤪

Full disclosure I've not had to do this myself but I have seen many many threads over the years regarding pekins and bumble.

Stupid bumble.
I'm sorry your dealing with it.
It's just something that's really hard to keep from happening with ducks walk around pooping every other step they take. Anytime they have an abrasion or small cut on their foot and then they walk around in their poo...
No matter how clean you keep things there's always going to be that chance.

If you have a chance, please post pictures of her foot. Like shaw mentioned above, antibiotics alone won't completely clear this up unfortunately. Plus, if infection ia left for a while, your duck can suffer from some bone erosion. My duck had a pretty severe case (Avian vet said that she needed to be euthanized and would not offer any treatment) but she's doing much better. She did have some bone erosion but she's been bumblefoot free since Nov 2020. I think it'd be a good idea to go ahead and order some Amoxicillian to have on hand because you don't want to use Baytril every time.

Thank you. I wasn’t sure on the sand but I’d seen people say it would clog up their crops. It seemed cleared up..? I checked it frequently and the black scab was completely gone not to mention that her foot looked better in general. I have duck booties, vetercyn and antibioti cream. I’ve had two very minor cases I managed to clear up just with the above treatments together. I also found manuka honey helped. It has been SO muddy this spring and I don’t think that helped my dramatic rise in bumble cases. I thought antibiotics would have cleared the bumble completely to?

Back
Top Bottom