BAYTRIL

Cate_coop

Chirping
Apr 21, 2021
Hey y'all,

I got my chicken some baytril antibiotics online and on the bottle is said it was for chicken use. Now I am reading that I can't EVER eat her eggs again if she has been treated with it? Is that a thing? I feel like they should tell you that before you buy it...

Hey y'all,

I got my chicken some baytril antibiotics online and on the bottle is said it was for chicken use. Now I am reading that I can't EVER eat her eggs again if she has been treated with it? Is that a thing? I feel like they should tell you that before you buy it...
It's because Baytril is considered "off label" for food animals. That includes laying chickens and ducks. As an egg farmer, I can't legally sell the eggs because there may be residual antibiotics. However, you can eat them if you choose. I can even give them to family/friends as long as they are aware.

There are conflicting studies about how long the antibiotics in a hen's system can be transferred to their eggs. It's not going to poison anyone. It's whatever you are comfortable with personally.

It's because Baytril is considered "off label" for food animals. That includes laying chickens and ducks. As an egg farmer, I can't legally sell the eggs because there may be residual antibiotics. However, you can eat them if you choose. I can even give them to family/friends as long as they are aware.

There are conflicting studies about how long the antibiotics in a hen's system can be transferred to their eggs. It's not going to poison anyone. It's whatever you are comfortable with personally.
Thank you Aunt Angus! I'll probably hold off eating for 30 days and then start eating them again

Back
Top Bottom