BBW TURKEY TOES CURVING OUTWARD MORE AND MORE

Kalunga Pharms

Chirping
Jul 15, 2021
Hi, BYC! I need help on how I can manage or treat my turkey birds. The one you see in the image is by far the worst. The knuckle areas are beginning to swell and I can spot an small opening slowly opening up more accompanied by some pain when I try touching it. Others are beginning to also curve slightly and some are still completely fine, no curves whatsoever. I need help, people! I appreciate your contributions. Thanks.
20210728_091327.jpg
20210728_091327.jpg

I'm not sure about Turkeys, but crooked toes in chickens is usually due genetics/heredity, incubation errors, etc.

You mention spotting a small opening opening up? Do you mean that there is a wound or the skin is breaking down?
If you can get some photos of the opening that may be helpful to those that know more about Turkeys.

Hopefully they can offer some suggestions -
@casportpony @R2elk @OneMountainAcres

What is the purpose of this bird? age, feed, housing, etc. as @Wyorp Rock said, curved toes tend to come from genetics, dietary deficiency and incubation errors. they tend to worsen with size. BBW are already predisposed to joint and feet issues due to size and weight. if yours is ultimately a meatbird and can eat/drink etc then i would say continue growing out and treat as needed with epsom salt soak/blue kote, antibiotic ointment.
if intention was pet, I would recommend changing intention and look for heritage breeds for pets.

I've never seen adults develop toes like that, only seen chicks & poults hatch that way and if not corrected in the first 3-5 days, they stay that way.

I've never seen adults develop toes like that, only seen chicks & poults hatch that way and if not corrected in the first 3-5 days, they stay that way.

Agreed. Usually it's something they're born with that you can fix within the first week. Even if it's genetic, it shouldn't develop to that point while they grow. What are they eating?

Back
Top Bottom