bc marans wade jeanne bloodline

Yeah, It's like the blue, black and splash gene of any chicken breed; cochins, rosecombs, silkies, etc. A blue and a black will get you blue and black. Two blacks will get you all black and a blue and blue will get you blue and splash and so on. These are not mutts. They are just different colors and a lot of people enjoy working on these separately and together
smile.png

from what I have read, mixing pure blacks with copper of any color is a no-no and just screws up the color on both varieties. Mixing blue copper with black copper is perfectly accetpable breeding practice, or plain black with blue or splash NON COPPERED birds is also acceptable. Sometimes people go with what they got and some less than perfect birds are produced in the process, like using a cuckoo to cross with a black to get more cuckoos, (or blacks, whichever way you are trying to breed) you will get some blacks with purple barring in the green on their feathers, even though they look "black" it messes them up and it takes generations of selecting away from purple barring to undo what was added by a single cross years ago.

And there's also black copper and wheaten. Wheaten is recessive to black copper, so if you breed them together -- depending on the combinations -- you could get "pure" black coppers, "pure" wheatens, or black coppers CARRYING wheaten as a result.

I have heard that breeding Black Copper and Wheaten is a bad idea and can mess up the color on both the hens and roosters. I have heard that Valantines stock was once really great but now is inconsistenet and not a good purchase. I have seen Will Marrows stock personally and met him he is an amazingly knowledeble breeder with beautiful birds that lead wonderful lives on pasture. I have some Blue and Black coppers from his stock from peachicks birds from him. They are amazing and very friendly I can't wait to get their nice dark eggs !

I have never heard of it I guess I am just new to the whole Marans thing I do know that Will Marrow's birds do not through wheatens that I know of !

Back
Top Bottom