BCM Roo x Red Selinks - 3 generations and they're a new BCM?

NTBugtraq

ex-Surgeon General
7 Years
Jul 26, 2012
Hell's Half Acre, Ontario, Canada
Hi, if there is already a thread on this, please point me there, I don't want to rehash a discussion that's been had.

A trusted friend of mine, with credentials to back her up, told me that if I crossed a good BCM roo with my "Frey's Special Dual Purpose" hens (essentially that hatchery's red sexlink blend), I could, in 3 generations, end up with BCM hens.

I am trying to produce black eggs, but its been suggested that in doing this breeding I could also create stock that could reinvigorate BCMs (not show stock, but quality layers). On top of that, its way cheaper (than buying BCMs) as I run a small farm and sell eggs and chicken meat, amongst other things.

I have just had my first hatch and now have 19 new birds. I didn't try to sex them, hopefully I can do that at 10 weeks when I want to cull the males. I am setting 41 more on Saturday using egg color as the basis for my picks from the eggs available.

What I would like to know is what to look for in this new stock. Should I be looking for birds with particular markings, or simply egg color again when they start laying 6 months from now? Can anyone point me to any writings along these lines? I'd even appreciate "an introduction to chicken genetics" as I feel like I am trying to learn a new programming language...;-]

Hello,
Hope you have good luck in this endeavor. I'm sure someone will come along shortly to answer your questions.

I'm very interested in your project. Please use this thread as your place to keep everyone informed of your progress.

Post plenty of pictures so we can see the progress also.

Project Chick Pics 1 day old.

Samples of the chicks from my first hatching of the cross. I got 10 of each, but one of the white's died on day 2. Now at day 8, it seems that 3 of the whites are more yellow than white. I tried vent sexing, but I could not see any differences...I've just set another 41 eggs into my bator.

Last edited:
I myself do not believe that you have been told good information. This hurts the new people that are interested in raising Marans in general.

If you sell any of these make sure to tell people that they are project chickens and will not be Marans. The off spring could lay dark eggs some day but will never be Marans. The French say that once they are crossed with another breed they are no longer Marans.

I have some chicks hatched out of my layer pen that are just like your White chick and they are out of BC and White Leghorn and they have feathered legs. Don

I believe that you can out cross and still get a Marans. How else do you get new colors?

A good person to ask would be @ladycat she us developing new colors of Marans.

JMHO.

I believe that you can out cross and still get a Marans. How else do you get new colors?

JMHO.

JMHO.

JMHO.

There is the problem with Marans in the USA. We can not even breed APA SOP type Marans on steady basis. What do you consider a Marans.

I myself do not believe that you have been told good information. This hurts the new people that are interested in raising Marans in general.

What hurts the new people? Unsexed BCM chicks cost $12 around here...definitely not in my price range.

If you sell any of these make sure to tell people that they are project chickens and will not be Marans. The off spring could lay dark eggs some day but will never be Marans. The French say that once they are crossed with another breed they are no longer Marans...Don

Well, fwiw, I have no interest nor intention of selling live birds or eggs for hatching, just meat and eggs for eating...so have no fear.

JMHO.

Yes, I'm developing new colors, but so far I haven't bred non-Marans into them. I'm mixing existing Marans colors together, and seeing what pops up in the 2nd and 3rd generations. I'm getting some interesting colors, and they are all pure Marans.

I am waiting till they are fully feather to post more pics, but I was watching them today and was amazed at the diversity of plumage. I have blacks and whites, then browns and tans, and golds and reds, its all over the map. I have one black guy with white spots, a white spot on his head, and he's the only black to have pink legs...clearly when you cross genes you toss a bomb into things. They look like they will be fully feathered for my planned date of next Saturday, when they leave the brooder and go out to the private coop.

I have a second set on day 10 day, 33 of which are definitely viable. I'll be collecting the eggs from next week to set a 3rd hatch...still from the same cross. At the very least, my flock is getting far more colourful.

Back
Top Bottom