BCM X ? for a somewhat fast growing dual purpose bird?

renk777

Songster
6 Years
Apr 28, 2017
East Coast, NJ
I have a BCM I'd like to use to incubate / raise my own meat birds. What do you suggest crossing him with to get a decent sized, somewhat faster growing offspring? Ideally, I'd love hens of a breed that also lays a decent amount of eggs. But then I fear I'd be sacrificing the genetics that allow for meat birds to grow more quickly to reduce feed costs and risk toughness if I keep them on beyond a certain number or weeks to attain desirable size. I had my eye on Dixie Rainbows but don't see much of them anywhere. Thoughts?

Are they all essentially the same? I found a site selling FRs but it seems as though DRs and Pioneers aren't available right now? I only did a cursory search...I suppose when we're ready, I should be able to find one or another. Thanks!

I haven't researched them extensively, but they're all of the same "type" and just different specific varieties, as far as I know. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

Check Hoover hatchery in iowa. I think I saw they have Dixie rainbows and freedom rangers and a new red variety.

I have a BCM I'd like to use to incubate / raise my own meat birds. What do you suggest crossing him with to get a decent sized, somewhat faster growing offspring? Ideally, I'd love hens of a breed that also lays a decent amount of eggs. But then I fear I'd be sacrificing the genetics that allow for meat birds to grow more quickly to reduce feed costs and risk toughness if I keep them on beyond a certain number or weeks to attain desirable size. I had my eye on Dixie Rainbows but don't see much of them anywhere. Thoughts?
What did you end up doing?
I'm thinking about crossing my BCM for a decent table bird

What did you end up doing?
I'm thinking about crossing my BCM for a decent table bird
Well, we decided we might move sooner than later so plans to raise meat birds is temporarily on hold. We did have some roos out of my BCM X Red Sexlinks. They were sweet, docile birds and we didn't give them a ton of room in hopes of keeping them tender. We dispatched them around 20 weeks. They weren't tough but kind of chewy so I dnot know if I want to go that route again. Less space would be cruel and more space = chewy + tough LOL So we'll most likely hold off until we're settled and then I'll revisit the idea. If you beat me to it, let me know how you make out with whatever you decide. Might follow your lead! :)

Back
Top Bottom