BCM??

Chickem707

Songster
Jul 11, 2018
Hi there, i was under the impression i has a French Black Copper Marans, but other peoples don’t tend to look like this. He’s 7 weeks old. Any idea if he is? Or is he something else? Thanks
(He does have that blue/green sheen, just hasn’t shown up well in pics)

Attachments

• 2EA2B290-CB99-48C7-A7FD-6B9337F5A87E.jpeg
    2EA2B290-CB99-48C7-A7FD-6B9337F5A87E.jpeg
    484.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 7F8779FC-745D-4400-B401-BC4B884A8D71.jpeg
    7F8779FC-745D-4400-B401-BC4B884A8D71.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 15
  • BD5E3E59-6820-481B-AFE0-7C754926AFD1.jpeg
    BD5E3E59-6820-481B-AFE0-7C754926AFD1.jpeg
    879.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Generally not show worthy because of excessive deviations from the standard for a particular breed. Has nothing to do with health or functionality of the bird.
I also wouldn't choose to breed/hatch from him... if I had another choice and was aiming for "quality" (show/breeder, pure) stock... it's a LOT of work. Better to start with less faults especially since he will contribute genes to EVERY mating and offspring. No rudeness meant here, just an observation. :)

But if for "flock protection" (not my reality as they aren't much competition for our predators) or breeding barnyard crosses like olive eggers.. He is fine, if you like him. He will even pass his dark egg gene to all his daughter (if his mother had nice color), EVEN from lighter brown layers... it's quite fascinating actually! :love

I agree with others that he DOES appear to be FBCM with leakage. I raise them and it happens even when my parent stock don't show it. I cull for it. But I don't see any other clues that would point to another breed or cross. :pop

Have you already found this site with lots of Marans information including their standard and some genetics already gathered into one location for free even...
http://www.maransofamericaclub.com/black-copper-marans.html

ETA: that wasn't a stupid question at all. How can learn if you don't ask questions! ;)

I also wouldn't choose to breed/hatch from him... if I had another choice and was aiming for "quality" (show/breeder, pure) stock... it's a LOT of work. Better to start with less faults especially since he will contribute genes to EVERY mating and offspring. No rudeness meant here, just an observation. :)

But if for "flock protection" (not my reality as they aren't much competition for our predators) or breeding barnyard crosses like olive eggers.. He is fine, if you like him. He will even pass his dark egg gene to all his daughter (if his mother had nice color), EVEN from lighter brown layers... it's quite fascinating actually! :love

I agree with others that he DOES appear to be FBCM with leakage. I raise them and it happens even when my parent stock don't show it. I cull for it. But I don't see any other clues that would point to another breed or cross. :pop

Have you already found this site with lots of Marans information including their standard and some genetics already gathered into one location for free even...
http://www.maransofamericaclub.com/black-copper-marans.html

ETA: that wasn't a stupid question at all. How can learn if you don't ask questions! ;)
Thank you for the info! I’ll check out that website!

Back
Top Bottom