Beak clicking

Deltabwa

Songster
5 Years
Oct 30, 2016
Southeast Montana
About half of my chickens do this clicking thing with their beaks. Sometimes it's really loud and other times there is no sound at all. Is this a normal behavior or do they have "something"? Here's a video of 2 of them. coincidentally enough, it's my "dark" ones. My Delawares, Buckeyes, NHR, and RSL don't do it at all but my Blue Andy, Black Ameraucana's, Black NN, SLW do.

0.jpg

0.jpg

Most every bird species does it. I read it is them sharpening it. My parrot does it when he's sleepy. It is normal.

oh, ok thanks. I could only find things about it being worms or mites, or some other thing. I thought the side to side on things was the sharpener.

thanks

Rubbing side to side on something hard can be sharpening, but the clicking could be too.
Pretty normal tho I think, see mine do it quite often.

My hens do it too. It isn't done only at eating. My hen will look me in the eye and click her beak. No sound. Just beak clicking. It's almost like she's talking crap to me sarcastically. Her mood is irritable too when she does it.

Agreed, I have three chickens that live inside with me, an Asil, a green legged Partridge/Cochin(waffles) & a golden penciled Hamburg(Penny), the Asil doesn't do it, but both Penny & Waffles do it quite a bit. Especially Penny...she uses it almost as another form of communication. DEFINITELY nothing to worry about!! Unless of course you have other issues along with it that are troubling. But alone..as cbain said, it's almost like they're "talking crap" hahah

Back
Top Bottom