Beak cracked lengthwise

pgr

Chirping
Apr 15, 2020
Central Maine
Any advice on what to do about this crack? My kiddo noticed more than a week ago, but I misunderstood what he was talking about and just really saw it today šŸ˜«. She seems to be acting/eating normally. I read about gluing the beak with superglue and a teabag, but it does look like it has debris, so gluing it is probably not a good idea, correct?

IMG_1081.JPG
IMG_1079 2.JPG

I think trying get to remove the debris might make it worse, but I'm not sure.
Beaks are constantly growing out, so you just need to keep it from spreading more until the beak grows out.

I think trying get to remove the debris might make it worse, but I'm not sure.
Beaks are constantly growing out, so you just need to keep it from spreading more until the beak grows out.

That's my thinking as well, but then again this is my first chicken keeping rodeo as an adult!

I would keep a close eye on it. If the split seems to be going/growing further up the beak then I might try to stabilize it by doing the glue and tea bag at the top, just at where the split ends, just to try to stop it from getting worse. Then let the rest grow out eventually.
If you end up gluing, use the gel type superglue, not the liquid. Much better than gluing things that were not intended.

I would keep a close eye on it. If the split seems to be going/growing further up the beak then I might try to stabilize it by doing the glue and tea bag at the top, just at where the split ends, just to try to stop it from getting worse. Then let the rest grow out eventually.
If you end up gluing, use the gel type superglue, not the liquid. Much better than gluing things that were not intended.

That's smart, regarding the gel. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom