Beak Injury....PLEASE HELP!!!

*Mine had a cracked beak and a few punctures, they were lengthwise, not across, but they healed fine in a couple weeks. Feed her a nice soft warm wet mash in the meantime and add a little ground flaxseed, the efa's and extra protien will help it heal faster.
What kind of soft food? I have a guinea fowl who broke off a chunk of his upper mandible (beak) yesterday and is having trouble eating.

Hi @Gwynny7 You can try wetting your normal feed and making it into a paste - sometimes this is easier to consume. You may even need to hand feed for a little while. I'm not exactly sure what Guinea Fowl eat
hide.gif
but if she can have egg - you can try a hard boiled egg as well. For drinking, sometimes having a deeper bowl can help.

If she is still having trouble, then you may need to consider syringing or tubing fluids into her. Search at the top for "Go Team Tube Feeding" and you will find a lot of information on tube feeding.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much!! I tried your method of turning the normal feed into a paste... well I did one step further turned it to soupy paste. I was able to feed my guinea fowl!
wee.gif
He did not really eat yesterday. Today he was able to eat from my syringe and some dry super fine crumble. I feed my guinea fowl the grower/finisher chicken feed from DuMor Brand at Tractor Supply since there is no guinea feed at least not where I live.

Quote:
I'm glad you were able to get some food into him
smile.png

How badly is it broken? There are quite a few threads about broken beaks in chickens - usually they do ok once the tenderness is gone. If it's the top 1/2 of the beak, hopefully he will learn to be able to "scoop" his food with the lower 1/2.

Good luck and I hope he continues to improve. Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom