Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Trim then file

Votes: 40 70.2%
  • Do nothing

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cull

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Now I feel like I need to check out my roo's spurs!! He would never hurt anyone on purpose but it's like having skewers sticking out of your legs. Things happen! I have a hen I call "Snape" because of her long curved beak. I've trimmed it once (bled like heck) and once it just broke off. She's definitely a genetic reject. She is supposed to be a Marans (got the eggs off Ebay, the other two that hatched were a rooster and a BLIND rooster) -- she's skinny, gangly, bug-eyed and has that tremendously hooked beak. Nothing like my sleek fat glossy black Marans from Cackle... But she is THE BEST momma (to her surrogate eggs - I don't hatch hers). And she lays lovely speckled deep brown eggs so...I also have a hen with severe scissor beak. I've never trimmed her but perhaps I should. The two halves of her beak don't meet in the slightest but she is able to scoop up soaked mash enough to stay fed. I don't have a breeding program so I have the luxury of having "special needs" chickens ;) Anyone have a good name for a one-eyed chicken? My kids call her Cyclops but that's an ugly name.

Maybe Celia the Cyclops, I like that! I have a "Gypsy" already - my Egyptian Fayoumi - craziest chicken on the planet. Flighty as heck and roams all over the yard (flies over the electric fence, not just over but many FEET over, like a "real bird"), definitely seems to be a good breed for free ranging. We have too many predators to try it for the rest of the flock but we'll see how she fares in the long term I guess!

Now I feel like I need to check out my roo's spurs!! He would never hurt anyone on purpose but it's like having skewers sticking out of your legs. Things happen! I have a hen I call "Snape" because of her long curved beak. I've trimmed it once (bled like heck) and once it just broke off. She's definitely a genetic reject. She is supposed to be a Marans (got the eggs off Ebay, the other two that hatched were a rooster and a BLIND rooster) -- she's skinny, gangly, bug-eyed and has that tremendously hooked beak. Nothing like my sleek fat glossy black Marans from Cackle... But she is THE BEST momma (to her surrogate eggs - I don't hatch hers). And she lays lovely speckled deep brown eggs so...I also have a hen with severe scissor beak. I've never trimmed her but perhaps I should. The two halves of her beak don't meet in the slightest but she is able to scoop up soaked mash enough to stay fed. I don't have a breeding program so I have the luxury of having "special needs" chickens ;) Anyone have a good name for a one-eyed chicken? My kids call her Cyclops but that's an ugly name.
I would call her "Winky"

No problems with my hens, but I had a budgie years ago that had a severely misaligned beak. I would trim it with a dog nail clipper, and then file. She could eat a little better with it trimmed, but not enough, so I hand fed her twice a day as well. She lived about a year like that. Now, I probably would just euthanize her, but I was young and soft back then.

No problems with my hens, but I had a budgie years ago that had a severely misaligned beak. I would trim it with a dog nail clipper, and then file. She could eat a little better with it trimmed, but not enough, so I hand fed her twice a day as well. She lived about a year like that. Now, I probably would just euthanize her, but I was young and soft back then.
Gotta watch exotic avian species with overgrown beaks and/or wonky feathers: Beak and Feather disease is fairly common and contagious too.

Gotta watch exotic avian species with overgrown beaks and/or wonky feathers: Beak and Feather disease is fairly common and contagious too.
Yes, back then when I had the budgie, I worked as a groomer at a pet shop. The shop offered beak and nail trimming for parrots, and we'd usually get one a week in for it.

Back
Top Bottom