Bean Night . . . please post YOUR recipes

cool glad to help, I have a lima bean recipe somewhere, but I truly dislike lima beans and substitute a diffferent bean, but I will look for it for you!

I am a bit late this week, kids had Monday offof school so I played "Mom's Taxi Service" instead of "Mom's Merry Maid and Restaurant". But here I am today!
This is a yummy bean soup that can go in the crockpot easily, the only pre prep is frying some bacon - if you half freeze (or half defrost) and then chop it into pieces before you fry, it goes more quickly.

WEEK 5

FRIJOLES SOUP

1 large can frijoles (refried beans)
1 small can of black beans - rinsed
1 fresh Jalapeño – diced
1 clove garlic - pressed
6 slices of bacon - chopped and fried
1 container salsa
Water - enought to make it "soupy"

Sour cream and shredded cheese for topping.

Just mix it all in the pot and set it to simmer all day. If you want to get fancy fry up some tortilla strips for topping.

Last edited:
Yes, we are all reading and waiting for the next yummy recipe.
love.gif

Thanks so much for taking the time,
Terri

okay then!

Chili seems basic, but it takes a little effort to get it to not taste like pre-packaged or canned.
This is one of my families favorite dishes, so it's kid friendly with the peppers, but when making it for adults only, I throw in some red pepper flakes or ground cayene pepper as well.
Of course serve it with corn bread and cold beer or milk to drink.
This makes a HUGE pot, I have a large family and chili leftovers disappear the next day - I'll let you cut it down to size if you need to.

WEEK 6

Katy's Country Chili

Ingredients:
1 can each of black beans, kidney beans, garbonzo beans, and Pinto beans - drain and rinse
2 large cans of whole tomatoes (don't drain)
1 lb ground beef - browned
1 lb ground pork sausage (breakfast or country style) - browned
1 green bell pepper - diced
1 long green chili pepper - diced
2 Jalapenos - diced
4 garlic cloves - crushed
1 yellow onion - diced
8 Tablespoons chili powder
4 Tablespoons cinnamon
2 Tablespoons of beef bullion
salt to taste
gravy flour
1/2 cube butter

melt the butter in bottom of large pot then lightly sautee peppers, garlic and onion. when done stir in chili powder and cinnamon then add meat, beans and tomatoes. add enough water to totally cover mixture and make quite soupy. Simmer all day - note this recipe is too big for crock pot. when nearing time to serve season with salt to taste and sprinkle with gravy flour, stir and sprinkle until you get the thickness you like.

Now if you want to make it really flavorfull replace the ground beef with ground beef heart. - trust me
smile.png

For corn bread I always use the Marie Callendars mix with corn added and I make two batches one with the additional add of diced pickled Jalepenos for the grownups.

Now the proper way to make corn bread is to use a Cast Iron skillet - (one of those really heavy black ones) lay down slices of bacon on the bottom and pour your cornbread batter over the top then cook. when it's done turn it out onto a serving platter bacon side up.

Enjoy, let me know if you have questions . . . next week is Lentil Soup!

Last edited:
Katy, ranchhand directed me over here and I'm glad she did! Please continue with the recipes if you have time. I will be making those.

thanks I will!
it's fun to do if you know there is someone reading! try some and tell me what you like and don't like, I love feed back.
I'll ge the lentil recipe on here today, gotta go fix the coop feeders first!
katy

I want to (am going to) try the frijoles soup. Question though,,,I'm thinking of using homemade beef stock instead of water to make it soupy. What is your thought on this?

Back
Top Bottom