Bean Night . . . please post YOUR recipes

Katy, if we can't get Basque chorizo sausage in our little towns, what would you suggest? Maybe andouille - as Mexican chorizo is not the same, I'll bet.

Thanks for these great bean recipes!
Teresa

ah good point!
Mexican chorizo is VERY different and would not turnout well in this recipe.
Chorizo tastes very different than andouille . . . it's a dried sausage and the main ingredients are pork and a sweet red pepper pulp. I don't know . . . me I would order it on line if I really wanted to make the recipe, or else just go with what you got.
The Basque Market in Boise is online, and a favorite place to purchase old world style chorizo is the Ideal market in Mcdermitt Idaho

All righty then folks! You have my bean recipes, please enjoy and feel free to ask questions:)

I would like to now invite anyone else who would like to include and favorite bean recipes on this thread, to please do so.
big_smile.png

Yes, I will get to the meal planning and budgeting thread soon, thank you all for the enthusiastic email and PM's, and please forgive the delay that clock just seems to spin faster and faster everyday.
roll.png

I haven't had a chance to read though all of yours but here goes

Ham & Lima Beans

1 ham steak, diced. Include some of the fat for flavor
4 cans of lima beans

Brown ham in a large pot, pour in beans without draining. Heat for 10-15min to let flavors mix. Salt and pepper to taste.

I make something called Black-eyed pea stew

3 cans black eyes peas
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can rotel
1 package of polish sausage
1 onion

I dice the onion and sausage and sautee in bottom of large pot. I drain the tomatoes and rotel and add them along with the black eyed peas. This is so easy and really filling. You can adjust the heat by leaving out the rotel. I can throw this together in less than 15 minutes. I serve it with cornbread.

Last edited:
I got this recipie off of www.cooks.com My kiddos love it.

LENTIL AND SAUSAGE CASSEROLE

2 cups lentils
6 small or 3 large sausages
2 large onions
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup minced celery
salt and pepper, to taste
1 bay leave
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 lb. spinach, fresh, chopped
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Wash lentils and pick over to discard misshapen beans and small stones. Soak, covered with 3 inches of warm water for an hour before using. Drain.
Choose Italian-Style sausages or brats. Any kind of sausage work well in this recipe, but here is a good opportunity to use hot sausages as the extra flavor will permeate the casserole.

Slice the sausage into bite-size pieces and saute in 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil with 1 of the onions, chopped; add garlic toward the end of the cooking, just as the onions begin to take on color.

When the sausages have browned, add the lentils and cover with boiling water with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add bay leaf and chopped celery.

Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the lentils are almost tender.

At this point, the first onion will have mostly dissolved. Chop the second onion and add to the simmering pot for another layer of flavor. Add the washed, drained spinach an simmer until wilted.

Using a perforated spoon, transfer the lentil mixture to a buttered casserole dish, leaving the broth behind (you can use this as the starter for a soup). Sprinkle lightly with cumin seed, garlic powder, and finally with Parmesan cheese.

Bake at 350°F until the lentils are tender, 30-45 minutes.

Season to taste, lightly, with salt and pepper. Serve directly from the casserole dish.

Serves 4 to 6, depending upon whether it is being served as a main dish or a side.

This casserole may be prepared the night before and refrigerated until use; allow an extra 15 minutes in the oven. Leave the Parmesan, cumin seed and garlic powder til just before baking.

I dont have measurements for this since I usually make things up as I go. Drives my husband nuts when I do that LOL.

Black Beans and Rice

1 can black beans drained and rinsed.
1 can diced tomatos drained but save juice
Finely chopped red onion to taste
1 cup white rice
2 cups water
1-2 garlic cloves
kosher salt
red wine vinegar olive oil
Put 1 cup rice in microwavable bowl. Add 2 cups water. Cover. Cook till fluffy. In my microwave thats 5 minutes high then 15 minutes at 50% power.
Place peeled garlic clove(s) in botton of bowl. Sprinkle with about 1/2 to 1 teaspon salt. I start low and add as needed to get the job done.
Take a fork and using the tines mash the salt and garlic togethor till it makes a paste. Add about a 1/4 of a cup of red wine vinegar and about a half cup of good quality olive oil. Whisk briskly. Add finely chopped red onions, tomatos and the beans then the hot rice. Mix in enough of the tomato juice to make it all nice and moist but not soupy.Let set about an hour on the counter and serve at rom temperature. Good as a side dish with anything or good as a stand alone lunch.If you want more color or flavor add a hand full of chopped cilantro or parsley depending on your preference. All the measurements are a guess. I kind of "eyeball" this

Here are 2 of our favorites, links have a pic and a printable option

Lima Bean Soup

3 cans (14 1/2 oz each) chicken broth
2 cans (15 oz each) lima beans, rinsed and drained
3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
2 small sweet red peppers, chopped
2 small onions, chopped
2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 cup half-and-half cream
3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled

In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the first twelve ingredients; bring to boil over medium heat.

Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-35 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.

Add cream; heat through but do not boil.

Sprinkle with bacon just before serving.

Sausage and White Bean Soup

1 can (14.5 fl. oz.) chicken broth
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
1/2 c. onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 can (12 fl. oz.) evaporated milk
3/4 lb. mild Italian sausage, casings removed, cooked, drained and crumbled
1 can (15.5 oz.) cannellini (white kidney) beans, undrained
salt and pepper

Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 to 2 minutes or until onion is tender.

Stir in flour. Gradually stir in evaporated milk and broth. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Add sausage and beans. Heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Back
Top Bottom