Bean Night . . . please post YOUR recipes

Katy-how many can of beans do you keep on hand for a year anyway??? I keep dried beans in bulk on hand for the many pots of beans I cook in the winter. Adobe Milling Company in Colorado is a great place to order from-they carry different kinds of dried beans, chili powders, etc. I order 10 lbs of pintos & 10 lbs of anasazi beans along with different chili powders. My favorite pot of beans is this:

1 to 2 lbs of dried pintos or anasazi washed & sorted (anasazi beans don't take as long to cook-so don't really need long soaking)
cover with water, bring to boil & turn off heat, let soak for about 1-2 hours, then add,
about another 1-2 quarts of water
1 large chopped onion
chili powder to taste, I usually use about 2 teaspoons of mild chili powder
1 to 2 smaill cans of green chilis (Old El Paso brand is ok) adding this is opptional
1 tsp of chopped garlic or some powered garlic
1 to 2 tsp of black pepper
about 1/2 to 1 tsp cumin
about 1/2 cup ketchup or a jar of salsa-either one is great!
add some ham hock, cut up ham or cut up some bacon & add to the pot

simmer till done on stove top for about 2-3 hours or in crock pot all day is fine.

I learned how to cook pintos growing up in the southwest so you can see they definately have a southwester flavor rather than just plain brown pintos!!
You can make them less spicy using mild chilis or more spicy using hotter spices. They get a nice red color to them with a nice red looking soup when cooked like this.

those both sound great!, thanks for sharing guys and welcome to BYC!!!!
I always have at least 6 months worth on hand and prefer a years worth so quite a few cans! Thanks for the referral to dried beans, I didn't grow up using them and never have made them come out quite right, plus the whole soak the night before would never get done by me, so I just stick with what works for me which is good ol' canned beans
smile.png
But way more power to anyone who uses them!

Leftover beans are good for "refried"... really well fried.

Some bacon grease... saute onion and garlic... when good and soft add in your beans and mash mash mash... add salt to taste... can add chili powder, cumin etc if you like... toss it in a tortilla and add some cheese/etc. Good stuff, especially with my kids who LOVE burritos but don't much care for beans and cornbread (yum) like I do.

Now, if only I could find a secondary use for brussel sprouts that they'd eat with gusto.

My favorite bean recipe is very simple: I buy a bag of 16 Bean Soup Cajun Style (at Walmart, no less) & follow the directions on the bag, steam some brown rice, brown a mixture of hamburger & Jimmy Dean Italian Sausage, add some onions, mushrooms & a bag of frozen vegetables. Fairly healthy, cheap & I get about 5 meals out of it.

Talking about dried beans, I have never soaked mine overnight. Just bring to a boil then let set for about an hour or more if you forget about 'em and then cook them....now then I DO cook my beans only in the pressure cooker or the crock pot-I haven't ever tried just cooking in a pot on the stove so maybe thats why people prefer canned ones---just for the convenience of it.

I just put them in the crock pot with water and put on high and they cook all day....I will put on low if I feel needed.

Quote:
My little trick to the soaking the night before thing is to soak a whole ton of beans (literally like 5lb each of 5-6 varieties) and freeze them on sheet trays, then ziplock bag the individually frozen beans. WAY healthier then canned, and even with organic it is less then 50% of the cost.
smile.png

oh, and I'll be trying the rustic bean soup next week, I just printed it out. I'm hoping next year to get a month long rotation going... i cannot imagine a year! we'd miss our recipes with that long in between... I think I roate about every 6 weeks.... maybe 8.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom