BEANS for chicken food

Using eggs as feed for "egg layers" strikes me as odd and expensive. But obviously, an egg is just as complete a protein as it is possible to find for a chick.

This completeness of protein isn't there with beans or any vegetable food used alone. Balancing the components of vegetable proteins so that the chicken can fully utilize the food and grow is an important skill for the animal nutritionist.

I'm no nutritionist but it is my understanding that bean seed has both nutrients and what are called "antinutrients." We all know that beans can be a little difficult to digest. But, as it matures, the seed develops compounds that inhibit the utilization of other nutrients in other foods. This can be fairly serious since it may inhibit the use by the animal of proteins, minerals, and may even effect blood clotting.

Apparently, heat breaks down these antinutrients. Sprouting does too but I'm not sure how complete a job it does. Some beans, peas, etc. - don't have as much of these antinutrients as others. Therefore, a critter eating raw field peas, for instance, may not have as much trouble as it would have eating raw soybeans.

Sources of information on antinutrients in feeds is sort of scattered. Since heat de-activates the compounds, it is evidently fairly easy to deal with the problems. You can read a little about the antinutrients in soymeal in this book on poultry nutrition.

Steve

Last edited:
Not taking comment badly but I was just trying to help for ideas for protein. I already have laying hens so it isn't all that expensive to me to feed them little fuzzybutts an egg a day. I do thatn you for the post though because it was very informative and now I can say I have learned something new. Something that gets a little farther and fewer between them more time I spend on this site.

Cooked beans won't hurt the birds just be sure to stay up wind of them
sickbyc.gif

Traditionally, beans are combined with grain, to make a more complete protein.

I believe soy used for poultry feed is usually heat treated, as single stomach creatures have a problem with the antinutritional factors in them. Ruminants have an easier time handling the raw soy.

I have to eat mostly protein (I had gastric bypass) and my doctor says (as have others on this thread) that beans must be added to rice or another grain to make a complete protein. I would think for chickens, scrambled eggs or yogurt would be better for protein boosting.

well , I know about 3 times a week , I cook them a large pot of rice and let it good and cold for them to eat , esp. since its so hot , and they go nuts . MAYBE add cooked leftover beans to the rice ?

They always have their feed 1st. and this is an added treat for them .

So , NOW they line up waiting for me to enter the backyard . lol

D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for all the information - and laughs! So now I know how come bad eggs can have a sulphur smell - it's all those beans:lau

Seriously, though, I have ended up with 8 roosters to 4 pullets from my babies and while I've found a home for 2 roosters, the pullets are out numbered and aren't bold enough to compete with the boys for food. Until I can take care of the over crowding problem I've been able to let the boys out to free range during the day. I can then feed the girls extra - and keep them protected from the hawks (sorry boys!). Yesterday I did cook up stale eggs and feed to them per this groups recommendation, however, I have a 5lb bag of pinto beans that are too tough and tasteless for me now and was wondering about animal food. After all, I do believe in waste not, want not.

Thanks again,

Back
Top Bottom