Beans

richards1052

In the Brooder
Nov 6, 2019
Seattle
My teenager is managing our backyard chickens and doing a great job. But he's being overprotective (imo) in what he's willing to feed them. It comes from a good place in that he's concerned that they not eat anything that will harm them.

So my question is: I've read that cooked beans are OK for chickens to eat. So would the liquid from a can of cooked organic black beans (the only added ingredients are sea salt and water) be OK to feed them? Or are there any reasons not to?

My teenager is managing our backyard chickens and doing a great job. But he's being overprotective (imo) in what he's willing to feed them. It comes from a good place in that he's concerned that they not eat anything that will harm them.

So my question is: I've read that cooked beans are OK for chickens to eat. So would the liquid from a can of cooked organic black beans (the only added ingredients are sea salt and water) be OK to feed them? Or are there any reasons not to?
I am the same way as your son, and I'm sure it drives my family nuts XD. I wouldn't personally, but just because it's a risk.

i am a teen to maneging chickens {dont have them yet

I always say, better safe than having dead chickens! :thumbsup

I always go with, "If I have to ask whether or not they can eat it, don't feed it."

Although that is me personally.

Since I have been doing Keto and cannot eat rice or beans, every time we order from the local Mexican place I get a huge pile of refried beans and Mexican rice that I cannot eat. My wife get the same thing and can never eat more than 1/4 of it so the rest goes right to the chickens. I have been giving my chickens cooked rice and beans for years, different breeds and ages and never had an issue at all. I have no idea what they put in them at the restaurant, I just know they taste great and the chickens seem to agree. Maybe I have just been lucky all these years but none of my chickens have ever dropped dean from anything I feed them!

Back
Top Bottom