Bear attack- 5 months chicken still traumatized.

cjpines

Songster
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
A bear attacked my 6 chickens back in July, ate 4. Two were left. My BR, age almost 2, is still traumatized. She lost her sister and hasn't layed proper eggs since. Her eggs are soft shell and broken sometimes on the floor. She used to lay every day, now only about twice a week. Her diet is the same except I'm giving her oyster shells thinking it will help--so far it hasn't.

My question is how can I get her spirits back to normal? We have incorporated 4 more chickens and she seems to be okay with them, but she and her sister were always together. Maybe she saw the bear attacking her sister?

Any thing I can do? Thank you guys.

Chickens have a long memory - mine were attacked by a hawk 3 months ago and no longer range in one part of our garden. Time will probably the only healer - just like us. :rolleyes:

Chickens have a long memory - mine were attacked by a hawk 3 months ago and no longer range in one part of our garden. Time will probably the only healer - just like us.
roll.png
Thank you. I was wondering if they have long memories with their little minds. Guess I'll have to wait.

Back
Top Bottom