Bear attacked chickens. One Got hit on the eye and it is sealed shut. Help

DDchickenranch

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2017
So I went on vacation and came back to a massacre that had happened to my chickens and ducks. One of my old hens that survived the encounter at first looked ok, but on closer inspection has one eye sealed shut. I don't know if there even is an eye in there anymore or if blood just sealed eyelid shut. It does not look like there is any open wound or infection that I can see. Should I do anything to try and save her eye? If I just leave it will it get infected and kill her? The attack happened 4 days ago. Any help or advise would be appreciated

What a tragedy to come home to. I can sympathize, as I also live with bears as numerous pesky neighbors.

The window to try to treat and save the eye is likely closed by now, but you need to give it a thorough flushing nonetheless. Get or make saline solution, warm water with un-iodized salt and baking soda. Then try to pry open the eye and flush well with the saline. If you can see an intact eye starting back at you from under the swollen facial tissue, her eye may be okay. If you see a white glaze over it or worse, it's likely gone.

Use Neosporin directly in the eye to promote healing and to halt infection.

You need to look into setting up hot wire around your coop and run. You will then be able to leave on a trip and know bears will be dissuaded from smashing the structure and killing your chickens. See this https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/its-been-26-years-since-ive-had-a-bear-in-my-house.1476448/ for my latest bear adventure. I've since run hot wire around my house in addition to around my coops and runs.

NO! Do not use neosporin in the eyes! Of anything! You can only use an opthalmic ointment. Neosporin does make an opthalmic ointment. I'm so sorry to hear about the bears coming when you were not home. We lost our flock to bears a few years ago. I hate bears! I hope she will be ok.

bear took Ginger.jpg

Back
Top Bottom