Bear Flipped over coop

I'm so sorry.

I have a friend that lives in PA that has bears and cubs visiting her yard. Her yard is connected with a wooded area in the back. Bears destroyed bird feeders and lots of other things she put in her yard. Be Careful. And, most of all view your surrounding area all the time you're outside.

I got a huge plastic bear head at target... maybe you could make a bigger meaner bear to “stand guard” ? I’m sorry for loss 😢

Bears are persistent and the ones in my area are more interested in the chicken feed than the chickens, however they will eat the easy to catch ones if they get in. You don't need a gun! Banging pots and pans from your window will scare them off, yell "shoo bear," seriously. It identifies you as human and they will leave. Easy, safer, and faster than a bird shot or scare shot. The loud consistent noise is what makes them run, and is more effective than a shot sound. Alarms and those loud air cannons works too. They want an easy meal. Most pre-fab coops will not keep a bear out. When we first got chickens, we had a prefab coop and ended up building a solid and completely fenced 12x10 run around it because we have it all, fox, coyote, eagles, hawks, falcons, racoons, bears, etc. 5-years of secure and safe happy chickens, it was the racoons that found a weak point in the roof. Now we have a legit small barn/shed style coop and run.

I've checked. The laws are very vague. It's the same here but the problem is the location of the coop. Theres no safe shot. And I'm not shooting a .300 Win Mag in the dark with houses within a half mile. Its not worth the risk to human life.
That's very true, thank you for thinking safe! Maybe you could trap that booger and call DNR?

I can't imagine a home rigged setup to actually trap a bear! Electric fencing to keep it out, best plan.
Mary
My dad's trapped bears before. It's just a foot trap. It would be worth the shot, sounds like he needs to be removed from this guy's area because he'd be considered a nuisance.

Back
Top Bottom