Bear Flipped over coop

Bear flipped over our coop. Ate 4 but 2 managed to survive. Sadly our pullets didn't make it. Based on the the tracks I'd say 175-225 lbs bear.View attachment 2655611
Sorry for your loss.

I built a Fort Knox chicken coop, but I don't think it would stand up to a bear attack. I agree with the electric fence suggestions. I am also wondering if an automatic light would deter a bear. You know, the kind you put on your garage that lights up for about 5 minutes if it detects any movement in its field of view. I don't know they make a noise alarm like that, but I would think that lights coming on and an loud alarm would startle a bear. Where I live, wild bears pretty much try to avoid humans and don't want to draw attention to themselves.

:idunno Using lights and an alarm might be a non lethal way to manage a bear problem.

If not, at least it would alert you to a possible bear in the yard and you could get out there on the safety of your back door and fire off a shotgun [air horn] into the sky to scare it off. [Edited] Or maybe call 911 to report the incident and see if/how they respond.

The exception to that wild bears avoiding humans rule are the dumpster diving bears. They learn to not be afraid of humans and consider our garbage as easy food. For that reason, we keep our garbage cans in the garage and locked up at night.

One of our neighbors had a bird feeder that being visited by bears. You just can't leave food outside for them to get into or they will come back for more. I don't know if bears like chicken feed, but I keep that inside my coop as well.

Again, sorry for your loss and hope you find a solution to the problem that does not involve having to kill a bear.

Last edited:
fire off a shotgun into the sky

Never shoot a firearm into the sky.

4 Rules of Gun Safety
  • #1 Treat all guns as if they are always loaded. ...
  • #2 Never let the muzzle cover anything that you are not willing to destroy. ...
  • #3 Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target and you have made the decision to shoot. ...
  • #4 Be sure of your target and what lies beyond it.
Shooting at the sky violates rule 2 -- unless you're willing to destroy the sky

Shooting at the sky violates rule 3 -- unless you have pinned a target to the sky and are intentionally shooting that target.

Shooting at the sky violates #4 -- because you don't know what is on the other side of the sky for your bullet to hit. People have died because bullets on ballistic trajectories have traveled a mile or more and hit them.

4 Rules of Gun Safety
  • #2 Never let the muzzle cover anything that you are not willing to destroy. ...
  • #3 Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target and you have made the decision to shoot. ...

Shooting at the sky violates rule 3 -- unless you have pinned a target to the sky and are intentionally shooting that target.

Shooting at the sky violates #4 -- because you don't know what is on the other side of the sky for your bullet to hit. People have died because bullets on ballistic trajectories have traveled a mile or more and hit them.
100% concur. you can not shoot to scare or maim. It's called lethal force for a reason.

4 Rules of Gun Safety

100% concur. you can not shoot to scare or maim. It's called lethal force for a reason.

Well, I stand corrected. Thank you.

In my defense, I was talking about a shotgun. I live on a lake, and every fall duck hunting season it's like the 4th of July. I have never heard of anyone being hurt by shotgun pellets that missed their mark on birds in the air. Also, I thought that if you did get hit by a shotgun pellet that fell back to ground, it would have about the same force as being hit by hail.

Instead of firing a shotgun into the air, maybe shoot off a air horn into the air. All I wanted to do was suggest making a large noise to scare the bear.

Back
Top Bottom