Bear Flipped over coop

Yeah I stock piled before the last election. Always these so called shortages during election cycles. I have a few cases of every caliber I own. Idiots are out there offering my 3 times what I paid for my 5.56 right now.
Wish I had an AK so I could just buy pallets of surplus 7.62 for 5 cents a round.

The goal is to NOT have to shoot one! Unless it drops dead immediately, having an angry and injured bear coming at you ain't better! And actually having a clear background? Neighbors? Having a safe shot is difficult many places.
Best to scare them off, and that's what the electric fencing is meant to do.
A couple of years ago, we visited a home in NW Wisconsin, in the woods, where I grew up. The owners had two BBQ grills right next to their kitchen door and windows. I could smell them at fifteen paces! They thought it was cute that black bears visited down the path, during the day! A child could have busted through their screen door, never mind the window. CRAZY!
When we were there, nothing remotely like food was outside! Now they also have wolves, and cougars, besides those black bears.
Must respect the wildlife, and be sensible!
Mary

The goal is to NOT have to shoot one! Unless it drops dead immediately, having an angry and injured bear coming at you ain't better! And actually having a clear background? Neighbors? Having a safe shot is difficult many places.
Best to scare them off, and that's what the electric fencing is meant to do.
A couple of years ago, we visited a home in NW Wisconsin, in the woods, where I grew up. The owners had two BBQ grills right next to their kitchen door and windows. I could smell them at fifteen paces! They thought it was cute that black bears visited down the path, during the day! A child could have busted through their screen door, never mind the window. CRAZY!
When we were there, nothing remotely like food was outside! Now they also have wolves, and cougars, besides those black bears.
Must respect the wildlife, and be sensible!
Mary
I know I seem like a crazy redneck but I'm trying to exhaust as many possibilities as I can before I use lethal force. The risk is that it gets too comfortable around humans. Last week a lady got killed by bears while jogging in Durango. This bear is a nuisance. We've had many problems with it in the past but no one is willing to call Parks and Wildlife.

I agree that dangerous to humans bears should have met lethal force, it's just not the first choice for most home owners to be that shooter. And no way would shooting at one without the ability to kill it be reasonable!
Mary
And why won't you, or someone, call the wildlife folks? Why wait until someone gets killed?
I'm looking into blanks and simunitions and I've got plenty of .270 as backup. I'm out of town right now but we'll see if he visits again tonight. Maybe if I can find some airsoft flashbangs. They essentially use .22 blanks.

If it is putting human life, livestock, or real property at risk you can kill it. Legally I'm not sure what chickens are legally but that's not really a something I want to find out. I'll call the game warden in the morning.

Chickens are considered "livestock" in most areas. Of course you would need to check the definitions for your area, to be sure.

So sorry for your loss. I have electric wires around my coops and pens and a good heavy duty fence charger. If anything touches my wires they will know it. Some people do bait the wires because if you can get the bear to touch the hot wires with his nose, tongue or lips, I'm pretty sure it won't be back. I have cameras around on my property and once a predator makes contact with my hot wires they don't test them again and I believe they teach their young that a bird isn't worth getting zapped for. I have heard critters test my wires but it's mostly in the spring. Probably a predator passing through looking for a mate or with young to feed. Good luck...
This is my fence charger. It makes my heart skip several beats and hurts.
20201129_133324 - Copy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom