Bear Flipped over coop

Pics
You do have some amazing poisonous snakes though!
And black bears are generally not dangerous, unlike grizzlies, who can be more problematic. and the cougars, and rarely, wolves. Where I live, there's only one rare, small rattlesnake...
Mary
Yeah we have snakes šŸ but we don't even have wolf's šŸŗ oh well we have dingos, maybe similar. I'll tell you something else, out in the country sides and bushland of Australia sometimes people claim to have seen very large big cats, we don't have cougars and mountain lions šŸ¦ like you guys either we apparently have no wild cats other then feral domestics but we have these big mysterious Black Panthers but no one really knows what they are, there was news about one just recently being filmed. Some say they were brought here during the war as mascots from other countries.

Seen one once dash across the road at night while in the car, saw another one on the edge of a pine forest. And have known four other people who've seen/had encounters with these cats.

Sure did. It's probably a 150 pound coop. Figured it'd be fine. Tied it down until we can find a more permanent solution and were setting up a security camera and keeping my more serious airsoft gun loaded by the door. Might get some 12 gauge bird bangers to try to scare it away. It's a much too comfortable bear.
So sorry! What about using an electric fence?

Sadly CO law doesn't allow that. Bird bangers are basically firecrackers launched out of a 12 gauge shell. If it comes back I'll call the game warden.
You might try paint balls, or even frozen paint balls. They hurt but don't kill. Friends in CO mountains had good luck with hot wire but it had to be really hot, better if plugged in and not solar. Do not spray pepper spray as a deterrent---evidently when it is sprayed on something then it tastes good, as hikers in tents have learned. I keep a battery operated bullhorn in my Wyoming house because if a bear comes in I would have to go past him to get out and I figure the siren on it would scare him off. A compressed air boat horn might work---I've used one to scare off raccoons. Basically you have to scare him or make him uncomfortable. BTW at least in Wyoming we can kill a predator if it is attacking livestock.

Bear flipped over our coop. Ate 4 but 2 managed to survive. Sadly our pullets didn't make it. Based on the the tracks I'd say 175-225 lbs bear.View attachment 2655611
Given this is from your state you've probably seen this, but it's worth the time to share, anyway. 20210514_222922.jpg 20210514_222935.jpg

Sure did. It's probably a 150 pound coop. Figured it'd be fine. Tied it down until we can find a more permanent solution and were setting up a security camera and keeping my more serious airsoft gun loaded by the door. Might get some 12 gauge bird bangers to try to scare it away. It's a much too comfortable bear.
If you classify your chickens as livestock, NOT as pets, it is perfectly legal to kill black bears, in Colorado.

ā€¢ Black bears and mountain lions CAN be killed when it is NECESSARY to prevent them from inflicting death, damage or injury to livestock, human life, real property, or a motor vehicle. Any wildlife killed shall remain the property of the state, and such killing shall be reported to the division within five days. ā€œReal propertyā€ means land and generally whatever is erected or growing upon or affixed to land. (Note: ā€œPersonal Propertyā€ means everything that is subject to ownership, other than real estate. Personal property includes moveable and tangible things such as pets, furniture and merchandise.)

https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/WildlifeSpecies/LivingWithWildlife/NuisanceWildlife.pdf

That bear is a danger to person and property. I would hope you could protect yourself with more than .12 gauge bird shot.
Like maybe double ought buck
Bear flipped over our coop. Ate 4 but 2 managed to survive. Sadly our pullets didn't make it. Based on the the tracks I'd say 175-225 lbs bear.View attachment 2655611
bears just bear bears. Put up Electrify fence and you wonā€™t have to hurt the poor bear. Also dogs work magic to keep bear away. Easiest is get a big dog. I hope you can fix it so everyone wins and bear lives and you can keep chickens. Iā€™ve learned to live without killing coons and keeping my chicks safe. I know itā€™s not the same but it can be done. Ssooooo sorry about your poor ladies. I wish you the best luck. Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom