Bear Flipped over coop

Pics
Sure did. It's probably a 150 pound coop. Figured it'd be fine. Tied it down until we can find a more permanent solution and were setting up a security camera and keeping my more serious airsoft gun loaded by the door. Might get some 12 gauge bird bangers to try to scare it away. It's a much too comfortable bear.
may I recommend a TUFF SHED. Adapt one for your needs. A bear won't be flipping one of those.

Sadly CO law doesn't allow that. Bird bangers are basically firecrackers launched out of a 12 gauge shell. If it comes back I'll call the game warden.
I had bear troubles and I took a 4x8’ piece of plywood and cut it into 1’ strips lengthwise. Then I screw in a load of screws which stuck up a couple of inches. I put them around the coup. Didn’t have anymore trouble. They step on those screws and don’t come back. Worked for me!

I had bear troubles and I took a 4x8’ piece of plywood and cut it into 1’ strips lengthwise. Then I screw in a load of screws which stuck up a couple of inches. I put them around the coup. Didn’t have anymore trouble. They step on those screws and don’t come back. Worked for me!
An unwelcome mat. I was watching a show about Alaska and bear problems. The person made unwelcome mats and put them around. I think electric wires would work especially with a good powerful fence charger.
Great idea... I got this picture online but it was similar and used sheets of plywood.
UnwelcomeBearMat.jpg

I think A combination, of bear resistant design and good fencing backed with electric charge wires is the best idea in bear country. I have only seen one bear in my area in my lifetime, a few years ago. They long ago were hunted to extinction in this area. But a lifetime of wilderness hunting, hiking, fishing and occasionally being stranded in bear country and having family living in bear country, has made me aware of the habits and threats from bears, or other large wild animals, to livestock, pets and occasionally people. Good luck in your efforts to make a safe flock! I applaud your efforts to use non lethal and legal methods to keep your chickens separated from predators! I try to avoid killing pest first, myself. Prevention is most times, better than the cure. I would mention to some folks , that shooting an animal(large) with birdshot is very cruel and ill advised! If it does not kill them quickly, they are likely to suffer a long time and often die after a prolonged battle with pain and infection. More humane to use buckshot and kill them quickly, if you must use that level of control or protection. I saw a neighbor's goat accidently take a single # 7 shot pellet to the head and die instantly, and that was at about 40 yards. (a long story) and I have found animals that were wounded and had suffered a long time from people's ineffective shooting, often with light shot or caliber bullets. I would give the bear a chicken before shooting it with birdshot!

Sadly CO law doesn't allow that. Bird bangers are basically firecrackers launched out of a 12 gauge shell. If it comes back I'll call the game warden.
Unfortunately, you fed the bear. He will be back. Electric fence is probably your best bet.

Growing up, I had rabbits that "fed" a pack of feral dogs. Dad laid down chicken wire on the ground and then electrified the hutches. That way when the dogs came nosing around the hutches they were sure to be connected to the electricity.

Back
Top Bottom