Bear in my FRONT YARD!

KellyGwen

Songster
11 Years
Apr 28, 2008
Lake Luzerne, NY
There was a BEAR in my front yard earlier this evening!! I grabbed my camera (and my gun) and ran out to close up my coop!
ep.gif

I didn't get a picture of him... but last week my neighbors found his... um.. poop in their yard...

How likely is he to break into my coop??? I live in a very rural part of the state. There isn't any real yummy or stinky food in my coop (other than the chicks!
D.gif
) and I think he'd be more likely to raid our compost heap...
fl.gif
but....

Has anyone else had trouble with bears bothering their chickens????

We have a bear or two that live around here and find poop, but he has never bothered my coops. On my old property I saw bears all the time, never bothered my coops there either. I wouldn't worry about it much but I wouldn't leave the coop wide open at night either:>)

I wouldn't take any chances for sure. You did the right thing in making sure the coop got locked up. Make sure they're in nice and tight for the night!
smile.png

There are plenty of threads on here about coops being torn open by bears. Use the search function above and you will find plenty with pics. They are a real threat to your flock. You should also talk to panner123, he will tell you all about bears and chickens. Good luck!

Quote:
Bears don't care one if your coop is closed or not if they want in. Bears will eat chickens, a couple of years ago I lost 35 in one night. What they really go after is the feed. So what I have done is store some feed right below my bedroom window. The window is open 24/7/365 with a 12 ga shotgun, loaded 3" mags with triple 0 buckshot. At that distance it won't go far. I due perfer using a bow just not at night. Oh and by the way, they will come in the house. Have had that happen twice. Anytime you see a bear on your property, forget the camera get your gun. You can take better photos of a dead bear and it is a heck of a lot safer. You only have two friends when a bear is on your property, Smith & Wesson. And whatever you do, DO NOT use a paintball gun, pellet gun or a 22. Use the biggest one you have. You don't want to make it mad or wound it, you want to
KILL it. I do not like any predator man or beast threating my family or critters. Next to man a bear is the most dangerous.

I don't think that a lock will deter a bear. As another poster said, it's better to kill it right the first time.

Back
Top Bottom