Bear in my FRONT YARD!

Quote:
i'd actually seen that site before. last summer i had a friend coming up from the flatlands and was terrified that our bear would maul her, so i looked up all that stuff about bear attacks and emailed it to her.
cool.png

according to a quick google:

-3 people were killed by black bears in 2007
-0 people killed by coyotes and wolves in 2007
-0 people killed by racoons in 2007 (i kid, i kid)
-0 people killed by foxes in 2007
-32 people were killed by pet dogs in 2007
-12,658 people were killed by people in 2007
-42,884 people killed in car collisions in 2003 (odd that it was easier to find stats about black bear attacks than car crashes! although another source said 42,643, so take that figure with a grain of salt.)

now there were probably more chickens killed by racoons, coyotes, and foxes than people, i will give you that.

I can't say what other states say about killing predators that are after hunans or livestock, but here in Ca. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO KILL ANY PREDATOR, THAT IS AFTER YOUR LIVESTOCK INCLUDING CHICKENS. Now if the predator is tearing your car up, it has the right to do so. Calling the Fish and Game Dept up will get you a trapper and a depredation permit. Most people don't think of areas of wilderness such as the area where I live. I am only about 50 miles from Sacramento, but right on the edge of the national forest. When I first moved here my nearest neighbor was four miles away. No predators to speak of. Now I have a neighbor about a mile away and the area has grown from 45 to over 300 with a big predator problem. Just last year they had to kill a mountian lion only two blocks from the high school. Yes, I b##$$ about predators, but you should hear what I have to say about the newcomers. For any of those thinking a bear is a pet, al I have to say is, MAY GOD HELP YOU THE DAY YOU MEET ONE. I have not figured out how to post photos here, but I will e-mail photos of the trapper setting up his trap. I WILL NOT SEND ANY PHOTOS OF DEAD PREDATORS. I will and have peppered humans for being in my chicken coop. Was only rock salt. For those that don't believe it hurts, lets someone unload a round at your backside. I did make the offer to those that didn't believe when I posted it. NOT ONE TOOK ME UP ON IT.

Panner,

If you took my post personal I apologize. It was meant as a general comment to those that seem to have disdain for the laws and government workers.

I have lived and worked in rural areas for some time. I have seen what you have mentioned. People move in and expect all the amenities of living in the city. One of the best was a field trip to an area that was recovering from a wildfire. Trees burned down, soil washed down the hill into a subdivision, property owners called the Forest Service and wanted to know what the FS was going to do about FS dirt in their yards.
Another was a wildland urban interface project (lessening fire danger by houses). People built the houses right up to the edge of the forest and then got mad because we were trying to lessen the chance of their homes burning by thinning trees.

If you want to live by the forest be prepared for what the forest has in it.

Another side note. Depending on the thread chickens may or may not be livestock. If local ordinances say no livestock then the chicken owners say chickens are not livestock. If local ordinances say chickens are not livestock and you can kill what is preying on your livestock then chicken owners say chickens are livestock. We want whatever way suits us.

I think we would get along pretty good. We have a lot of the same sentiments.

Heck I don't take the post personal. They are here to help and inform us. Just last year I cut a 75 foot fire break aroun the property, to lessen the chance of a fire here. The last one we had here was stopped at the property line. Had it gone any farther I would be living in a new house now. Again it was started by some bumb jerk ( not what I call him most ot the time but it does start with a j and ends with a double s) from the bay area. He burned thounsands of areas of forest and 35 houses. For many they will never see a bear outside of the zoo. For those that do, most of the bear will turn and run. That one bear and you can never tell which one it will be, will attack. Any bear that will come up to a house that has dogs and lights, has NO fear of humans. Again that is the bear that will attack.

Quote:
They've always been here. We call them sugar bears around where I live. It's just that a much needed population surge has occured. Habitat encroachment has also occured forcing them out in the open more. We live along Lynches River and all my life have had a decent bear population. There have always been a healthy population along the coast and the upstate. The population surge is a positive sign, as at one time they were more rare here. As far as I know there has never been any injuries due to sugar bears. A family did lose their car in Bishopville a couple of months ago. Who knows why, but a bear tore it to pieces one night. Of course, all the Bishopville folks said it was the "Lizard Man" and started selling "Return of the Lizard Man" shirts...LOL

Panner is right about the bear that comes to the house it the bear that will attack. My brother Joe started the UP bearhounds association with just a few guys in the back of a bar. Now it is nation wide organization that has 1000's of members. Some people don't understand hunting with dogs, but that isn't here nore there. That organization has spent 1000's of $ to further bear research and other wildlife needs. They work with all the organizations, governement included, with wildlife management. They have even put people thur school and have people on the floor in government lobbing for animal and human rights. So I know bear. I have spent hours at those banquets listening to bear bioligist talk bear. What people don't realize is that black bear behavior is changing. They don't always stay hidden or run from people, they are starting to charge and be more aggressive. This has been an ongoing problem for a few years and the guys in the woods are the ones seeing it. I don't know if it is that the land is populating and squeezing them so they are fighting back or what, but people be away nature changes with their needs and there is nothing more natural than a bear black or other wise.

Have a nice day and like panner said sure hope you don't run in to those beautiful animals with just a camera when it is in a mood to be natural.

A black bear is far more likely to conduct a predatory attack on a human than a brown bear. They aren't big cuddly puppy dogs. They can and will kill you if they are so inclined. That 3 people statistic doesn't sound like a lot, unless you or your loved ones happen to be one of the three.

Quote:
They've always been here. We call them sugar bears around where I live. It's just that a much needed population surge has occured. Habitat encroachment has also occured forcing them out in the open more. We live along Lynches River and all my life have had a decent bear population. There have always been a healthy population along the coast and the upstate. The population surge is a positive sign, as at one time they were more rare here. As far as I know there has never been any injuries due to sugar bears. A family did lose their car in Bishopville a couple of months ago. Who knows why, but a bear tore it to pieces one night. Of course, all the Bishopville folks said it was the "Lizard Man" and started selling "Return of the Lizard Man" shirts...LOL

Don't mock the lizard man.
wink.png

You don't live in Perkasie, do you? I have a friend that lives there and I guess there is (was?) a bear wandering around his neighborhood! It was on the news and everything. The game commissioner wouldn't do anything until it destroyed property or hurt (more like KILL) someone.

Back
Top Bottom