Bear problem

No, I'd only do one to start with ... close by your coop.

If they get a good zap with one, number 2 & 3 rods won't make a difference ... now if you were really trying to feed 10 miles of fence, then probably you would need all three ...

There is a slight possibility that the grounding system (rod) could cause a problem with an underground utility ... water lines, cable, telephone, power ... the further the ground rod is from them, the less likely it would interfere, if you get a light shock from your sink ... you will know! Or static in your phone line ...

Here is a basic discription of what the grounding system does, and how to use it ... https://www.gallagherfence.net/blogs/electric-fencing/35328065-properly-grounding-an-electric-fence

Last edited:
Yes, OK to start with only one ground rod for now.

As for the bacon, drape half a slice over the fence and hold it in place with a clothes pin......and if it was me, I'd do that with the fencer OFF. Just saying.

BTW, did you get a fence voltage tester? Not an essential part of a starter kit, but nice to have just the same.

No, I'd only do one to start with ... close by your coop.

If they get a good zap with one, number 2 & 3 rods won't make a difference ... now if you were really trying to feed 10 miles of fence, then probably you would need all three ...

There is a slight possibility that the grounding system (rod) could cause a problem with an underground utility ... water lines, cable, telephone, power ... the further the ground rod is from them, the less likely it would interfere, if you get a light shock from your sink ... you will know! Or static in your phone line ...

Here is a basic discription of what the grounding system does, and how to use it ... https://www.gallagherfence.net/blogs/electric-fencing/35328065-properly-grounding-an-electric-fence
Okay so if the utilities are not underground does that mean they wont be affected. Also where my chickens are is fairly close (20 ft) from where the electrical services enter my house. So would that be an issue

Yes, OK to start with only one ground rod for now.

As for the bacon, drape half a slice over the fence and hold it in place with a clothes pin......and if it was me, I'd do that with the fencer OFF. Just saying.

BTW, did you get a fence voltage tester? Not an essential part of a starter kit, but nice to have just the same.
Does the rod have to be 8 ft deep like the instructions say

I would pound it in as far as possible, just because. It needs some dampness to be effective, as I recall. Very dry sites would be more of a problem, as in a desert. That's not you! If it's very rocky, just do your best anyway.
Our soil is damp and not rocky, so really I'm no help here...
Mary

i would talk to the DNR, in your area. not sure what BC laws are like (besides them banning grizzly hunting which will cause more issues if you ask me) but also you need a hot fence for bears. the simple coon/coyote fence is too weak i have been told. have to run a heavy duty one (quick google search says you need 0.7 joules while horses need around .1 joules)

So the chickens are spending the night in the back porch. The surviving black bantam orp from last nights bear attack is in a dog kennel to protect her from the 5 remaining red stars from the attack 2 nights ago. I think i will have to rehome her as there is enough chaos around here without integrating. If (when) the bear comes tonight he will find abandoned coops. I wonder if he will move on after a few days since his food source is gone.

i would talk to the DNR, in your area. not sure what BC laws are like (besides them banning grizzly hunting which will cause more issues if you ask me) but also you need a hot fence for bears. the simple coon/coyote fence is too weak i have been told. have to run a heavy duty one (quick google search says you need 0.7 joules while horses need around .1 joules)
Im just glad we dont have grizzlies on the island at this point. I would not want to come face to face with one of them. The black bears are usually fairly skittish.

Okay so if the utilities are not underground does that mean they wont be affected. Also where my chickens are is fairly close (20 ft) from where the electrical services enter my house. So would that be an issue

Correct, only underground "might" be effected ... and the electric utility power line "should" be very well protected by not only a insulating sheath, but inside a conduit/pipe, not sure how they do things up there though ...

If you have real rocky ledge type ground, you could try laying the rod in a ditch as deep as you can dig, then bury it ... and keep the area moist ...

First, I hope your got through last night with your flock on the porch and no issues. I'm not sure if keeping them inside for a while will deter a bear. I've read that their sense of smell is better than a bloodhound.
You don't need to over think the grounding rod. Pound it in as far as you can and don't worry. You need damp (not arrid) soil. The idea is that the fence is the hot wire, and the soil is the grounding wire. The bear will touch the hot wire while standing on the ground -closing the circuit. There are some great articles on this site about electric fencing.
I have a fence around my raised bed gardens, and can only drive the grounding rod in about 6 inches before hitting ledge, and still get plenty of juice to deter bear.

Back
Top Bottom