Bear!

Ineke9909

Songster
Jan 21, 2021
Last night a bear, probably a young one, tried to get into our coop. Thank goodness he was not successful. He did tear down part of the fence around the day run outside, but the hardware cloth on the coop run held 🙂
2E7A164E-8614-4532-B1A6-EC899A65D806.jpeg
A4D004B2-1993-4A26-A757-908C87FA68E0.jpeg

May be time for electric fencing? My coops and runs are very secure. Chain link kennel panels completely covered sides top and bottom with 1/2" hardware cloth. Nothing has ever broken in at night, but i feel certain a bear could break down the gate door if determined enough. Glad "your bear" didnt get in!

I agree hot wires. Some people bait their hot wires so when the bear touches the hot wires it's touching them with the more sensitive parts such as the nose, lips and tongue. It won't kill but will hurt if you have a strong enough fence charger with a good ground. My wires usually run around 11,000+volts. It hurts. Some of the predators have tested my hot wires but once they have been zapped they don't go near them again. I think the adults teach their young that whatever is on the other side of the hot wires isn't worth getting zapped for. Good luck...

Not a 100%, but by the paw print on the coop door, I’m thinking bear. The other possibility would be a cougar, but I like that less. The only thing against a bear is there are no claw marks. No return as of now, set up a trail cam and also a motion sensor sprinkler.

Not a 100%, but by the paw print on the coop door, I’m thinking bear. The other possibility would be a cougar, but I like that less. The only thing against a bear is there are no claw marks. No return as of now, set up a trail cam and also a motion sensor sprinkler.
In the first pic?
All I see is a smear of mud.

Back
Top Bottom