Bearded Turkey Hen

Blisschick

not rusty
12 Years
Feb 20, 2007
Shepherd, Texas
I thought I would post a photo of my bearded lady for those who may or may not have heard of this phenomenon. It occurs on occasion, but is not all that common. It's much smaller than a male beard. Freckles is 9 mos. old. I just discovered she had it in October, since it was hidden under her feathers.

hen_beard.jpg

Wow, that is weird. You know the other day when we were picking up our processed deer, they said they had a female deer come in but she had horns. All the parts inside and out of a female, but had a rack. I guess she was confused.
lol.png

I have been told that when this happens its considered a free-martin...in other words will not breed or lay eggs...too much testosterone...I have had this happen with cattle and goats and I guess if a hen was to crow like a roo then I have been told it wont lay...I am not sure if all this is true with chickens and turkeys but it is true with the others.

My white broad breasted turkey (her name is Dudley) has a two inch beard. She lays huge eggs!
She also does a male thing, she hates the goaties and gets all patriotic. Her head gets blue and her wattles get bright red. She puffs up and loks like she weighs 150 pounds!

are you sure she is not a slow developing Tom??

Definitely not. She's the same turkey that got the wounds from mating. She's the meekest of the three sister hens.

All the parts inside and out of a female, but had a rack.

Don't most females have a rack?? I couldn't hide mine if I tried.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom