Bearded Turkey Hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Blisschick, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I thought I would post a photo of my bearded lady for those who may or may not have heard of this phenomenon. It occurs on occasion, but is not all that common. It's much smaller than a male beard. Freckles is 9 mos. old. I just discovered she had it in October, since it was hidden under her feathers.

[​IMG]

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Wow, are you sure she is not a slow developing Tom?? She has the chest thingie..( not sure what thats called) She sure is pretty!

3. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Wow, that is weird. You know the other day when we were picking up our processed deer, they said they had a female deer come in but she had horns. All the parts inside and out of a female, but had a rack. I guess she was confused. [​IMG]

4. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    It is fairly common among wild turkeys.

5. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I have been told that when this happens its considered a free-martin...in other words will not breed or lay eggs...too much testosterone...I have had this happen with cattle and goats and I guess if a hen was to crow like a roo then I have been told it wont lay...I am not sure if all this is true with chickens and turkeys but it is true with the others.

6. Shelby

Shelby Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2007
    Lauderdale, MS
    My white broad breasted turkey (her name is Dudley) has a two inch beard. She lays huge eggs!
    She also does a male thing, she hates the goaties and gets all patriotic. Her head gets blue and her wattles get bright red. She puffs up and loks like she weighs 150 pounds!

7. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    are you sure she is not a slow developing Tom??

Definitely not. She's the same turkey that got the wounds from mating. She's the meekest of the three sister hens.

All the parts inside and out of a female, but had a rack.

Don't most females have a rack?? I couldn't hide mine if I tried. [​IMG]

8. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    [​IMG]

9. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    I didnt notice your rack Stacey, did you have a hat on that day? [​IMG]

10. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Yeah, that's it...a big HUGE hat! As I recall, you also had your wife with you... [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by