Bears broke into my coop and ate my girls

... California has become so densely populated that we can't expect to push the predators out of our property lines.... They [black bears] are so hungry right now, I'm thinking... the... unusual dry conditions ....so far are contributing to a lack of smaller prey?
I think that the larger problem is that an over population of bears are eating themselves out of house and home?

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
While I am not sure I follow that analogy, I did do the math on the bear population in CA. By a 2011 survey, 30,000 bears were estimated to inhabit CA. Thats approximately 5.5 per sq mile if my numbers are correct. Thats a lot if you ask me!

We have an over population of black bears in my area too. They have taken out ( shot them)6+ in the past 18 months in a 400 acre area. The bears are not afraid of humans or dogs and have walked through electric fencing.

All people in our area now have dogs for noise makers, rifles, handguns just to enjoy being out in your yard. Habenero peppers tied to fencing, Fish &Game hunts, live bear traps, bait areas so they can get the bears. All that and it isn't working. Lambs, sheep, calves, goats, llama, chickens and a horse have all been victims. Besides a house door caved in from a bear making entry into a house. The family was gone when the bear entered the back door and tore up kitchen, pantry and tore up the flooring, furniture from defecating, urinating, and claw damage.

A hunt was for the nuisance bear they think they got it, when a bear is deternined there isn't a heck of a lot that will stop it in its tracks. If a "food source"is within 100 feet of your home and the bear is after it SHOOT! A bear can cover that distance very quickly and you are in danger. A 250+ pound animal that can sprint up to 35mph short distances can take an interest in you rather then some 4lb fluffy things in a coop.

If a bear is that close to my home, I'll empty a clip, magazine in the **** thing then call Wildlife, Police.

Back
Top Bottom