Bears broke into my coop and ate my girls

Geez. I would do anything possible to get those bears trapped. Get hot wire set up and stay alert! Always travel in a group like you said you've been doing. Just don't let your guard down. Stay safe!

Bullitt, its so backwards here it would make your head spin. All Im suggesting is to get proof before you do it, because I know that while we might technically have that right, by town code we cannot fire a gun on our property to kill the coyotes that took my birds and im pretty sure dh would have to claim his varmit tag to do so.

Have had a bit of experience with, and have been reading of ambiguous and murky and maddening rules/regs - and the consequences for flock owners for years - in re: domestic vermin, i.e., dogs. It is my take that any loose dog wandering on to this property is assumed to be a threat to the property owners, both practically and for matters of the law.

As any loose dog is road kill waiting to happen - the default is to reduce it to `road kill' (humanely with a bullet - unlike those using cars). If the law was called, after the fact, by any of the parties, I'd not mention our poultry: `growled/snapped at us'. Same with larger preds `family was threatened'.

In CA one is supposed to call 911 and report a bear threatening humans - this gives the owner documentation (if nothing else) - following bear visitation? Shoot it and then call cops (`sorry guys, didn't have the phone with me this time - bear was going after baby leroy on the deck!' -- And was completely ignoring the chickens...')

Reporting Coyotes? Always provide details like `was snapping at the air - was drooling a lot - seemed to be walking `sideways' - didn't look right... Some putative illness, or other, will rouse the biologists owing to the potential for such to negatively impact to overall coyote population (kinda counter intuitive tactic to use to protect the turks - but, hey, tools at hand - amen...).

Good luck with the fencing!

Last edited:
There are mountain lions also in California. :)

Mountain lions migrate with the deer herds up here so they are more in the valley than where I live. Though they are also starving due to California's democratic voters mucking up the forestry and hunting laws. The warden whom I spoke with said I can shoot the bear if and ONLY IF my human life is at risk. Wherever you're getting your information claiming that anyone anywhere can shoot an animal to protect themselves and their property and livestock is not a valid source of information and I would highly recommend updating your information. California is a terribly controversial state. What don't you get about that? It's not all cut and dry. Even if I were to shoot these two bears, another will realize their territory is now empty and a new bear will move in. Killing these bears isn't the COMPLETE solution. All I'm looking for is further preventative measures so this never happens again.

Last edited:
I am so sorry for your loss.  I just had a coyote pack wipe out my turkeys, so it's a fresh wound for me as well.  Where are you in CA?  I've never heard of a fee for trapping either.  My dh's a hunter and we live in So. CAL and I can assure you that it's not as cut and dry as just shooting the bear if it comes back.  The laws in CA are so muddy and the forestry dept. has so much power that I don't think you'd come out of that without a fine - or worse.  I'd ask for specific written CURRENT literature that states you have that right before you assume it.  We put up an electric fence after our attack on the chicken's pen.  For what we were dealing with, a lower zap rating was just fine.  The higher the acreage it will cover, the better the zap is what the feed store owner told us, and if we were dealing with something bigger than a coyote that we would need to get the box that was rated for cattle.  Just fyi.  I hope you can find a solution to deter the bear and keep your gals safe. 

I'm north of Tahoe area, Sierra Buttes. We have a horse rated power box because the people around us said that was the best for around here. It's probably similar to the cow rated if not the same. I'm sorry to hear about your turkeys. I hope we both can avoid further losses.

The picture quality from my phone isn't superb.
This is Holly, my only remaining RIR. She's 4 months old and we found her tucked tightly under our deck with her chest cut open and her wing partially sliced from her body. We took her to my mom's work and they stitched her up and she's still running around with the other gals as if nothing happened. Her stitches come out in two and a half weeks. I think she will go through a stress molt but she's a tough chickie. :)

HOT, HOT wire, then bait it with foil stirps covered with pnut butter, so they touch the wire with wet noses first instead of their thick insulating fur.
Sorry for your loss of birds and the loss of logic in laws...best of luck in the future.

Mountain lions migrate with the deer herds up here so they are more in the valley than where I live. Though they are also starving due to California's democratic voters mucking up the forestry and hunting laws. The warden whom I spoke with said I can shoot the bear if and ONLY IF my human life is at risk. Wherever you're getting your information claiming that anyone anywhere can shoot an animal to protect themselves and their property and livestock is not a valid source of information and I would highly recommend updating your information. California is a terribly controversial state. What don't you get about that? It's not all cut and dry. Even if I were to shoot these two bears, another will realize their territory is now empty and a new bear will move in. Killing these bears isn't the COMPLETE solution. All I'm looking for is further preventative measures so this never happens again.

The warden is wrong.

Here is the California Department of Fish and Wildlife website: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/bear/depredation.html
"However, Section 4181.1 of the Fish and Game Code states that landowners may kill a bear encountered in the act of molesting or injuring livestock."

And as I mentioned earlier, put up an electric fence around your coop also.

Last edited:
This is Holly, my only remaining RIR. She's 4 months old and we found her tucked tightly under our deck with her chest cut open and her wing partially sliced from her body. We took her to my mom's work and they stitched her up and she's still running around with the other gals as if nothing happened. Her stitches come out in two and a half weeks. I think she will go through a stress molt but she's a tough chickie. :)

That's a tough gal! Glad she survived!

Have had a bit of experience with, and have been reading of ambiguous and murky and maddening rules/regs - and the consequences for flock owners for years - in re: domestic vermin, i.e., dogs. It is my take that any loose dog wandering on to this property is assumed to be a threat to the property owners, both practically and for matters of the law.

As any loose dog is road kill waiting to happen - the default is to reduce it to `road kill' (humanely with a bullet - unlike those using cars). If the law was called, after the fact, by any of the parties, I'd not mention our poultry: `growled/snapped at us'. Same with larger preds `family was threatened'.

In CA one is supposed to call 911 and report a bear threatening humans - this gives the owner documentation (if nothing else) - following bear visitation? Shoot it and then call cops (`sorry guys, didn't have the phone with me this time - bear was going after baby leroy on the deck!' -- And was completely ignoring the chickens...')

Reporting Coyotes? Always provide details like `was snapping at the air - was drooling a lot - seemed to be walking `sideways' - didn't look right... Some putative illness, or other, will rouse the biologists owing to the potential for such to negatively impact to overall coyote population (kinda counter intuitive tactic to use to protect the turks - but, hey, tools at hand - amen...).

Good luck with the fencing!

LOL, yep pretty much your human life has to be in danger. Ridiculous that we can't directly address the predation.

I read the link posted, and it did notate a required permit and I agree with you, not a real solution. California has become so densely populated that we can't expect to push the predators out of our property lines. I also agree that the hunting laws are to blame and they do need amending.
I'm north of Tahoe area, Sierra Buttes. We have a horse rated power box because the people around us said that was the best for around here. It's probably similar to the cow rated if not the same. I'm sorry to hear about your turkeys. I hope we both can avoid further losses.

What a gorgeous area, lucky you! Thank you, I also wish you the best in fending them off. They are so hungry right now, I'm thinking perhaps the unusual dry conditions all through last year and this winter so far are contributing to a lack of smaller prey?

Bless her heart. She's just a baby still! I hope she recovers fully!

Back
Top Bottom