Bears!

Eek! Up here we are having more people coming into contact with bears, but I think it is because so many new houses are going up in their habitats. The biggest problems I have heard of are the bears going into bird feeders and bee hives.
I keep all my food under tight conditions, especially since the year I found about 50 pounds of layer pellets that a squirrel had stashed in a hollow tree! I have rodents of every description, despite my mighty huntress kitty who racks up several kills a day.
I also have a hound dog who happily sings if something is around the coop. Hopefully I won't have any bears!

I'm not sure if last nights bear was a black or brown. the bears in our area just woke up about a month ago and have been seen all over the place (both species).
I dont know if he heard them peeping or could smell them, but we dont keep any feed in their coop other than their hanging feeder. So i'm pretty sure he was going for a turkey dinner.

the chicken coop and hog pen was only about 100 ft away and it doesnt apear that the bear went anywere near them.

If he comes back again we'll be having a bear BBQ!

Hey AK-bird-brain, where you at? I grew up in Haines and Juneau and my mom and sister are still there. In Juneau anyone who doesn't take care of their trash gets a balck bear visit. Not so many brownies there. Sorry OT.

Karen

This is Bird-Brain's wife
big_smile.png
... he couldn't be here because he's putting the finishing touches on the new grate/grill for the BBQ tomorrow. The bear didn't come back, so we're BBQ-ing the pig instead.
lol.png
Y'all are invited! We were relieved the bear didn't go after the pig, because he was/is the guest-of-honor for the BBQ tomorrow. We had the butcher cut him in half for us, and the half that they're not processing for us we're slow-roasting until the meat falls off the bones. Yummm-eeee! We're also very glad they didn't get the birds. I fixed the door yesterday, and the electric fence will be going up soon.
We're in Sterling, on the Kenai Peninsula about 10 miles East of Soldotna. A little rainy today, but not enough to keep us inside. Have a great holiday weekend!!

Back
Top Bottom