1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Beat up Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Arogacki, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Arogacki

Arogacki New Egg

Apr 13, 2015
    I have a poor hen that has been beaten up pretty badly and I am not sure how to treat her. I got her from someone when she was already laying and she was always missing a few tail feathers. She came with 2 others that I have been successful in getting their feathers back. However, 2 days ago I went to feed and she was bleeding and missing a lot of feathers. I have pulled her inside but she hasn't laid an egg since and I am not sure how to clean her wounds. I have read a lot of posts on here but I am still a little confused. Some of the things I do know:
    I do not have any mites or lice, I have treated for it and all of my other chickens are nice and fluffy.
    She is one of my originals and has never been beaten like this before. I do have 1 bantam rooster but he has been in the coop since he was a chick and has never caused any problems before. I recently discovered my silkie is a rooster, (I am new to chickens) and I did witness him trying to mount one of my others the other day.

Should I give her a bath? or put something on her wounds? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    She actually has dried blood on her comb and neck

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  2. silly4buttons

silly4buttons Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2013
    Billerica Ma
    Am sorry that she's gett pick on. She has a lot of feathers missing especially on her backside she could have something else going on. I wish I new I don't want to give you the wrong advice.

3. Arogacki

Arogacki New Egg

Apr 13, 2015
    I think she may have something else also, because like I said she was always missing feathers. But never this many. Thank you

4. Arogacki

Arogacki New Egg

Apr 13, 2015
    After reading through some posts and many blogs, I gave her a bath with warm water and Dawn dish soap. I put vaseline on her worst wounds. She is eating, drinking and otherwise very perky. However, she still hasn't laid an egg. I can't feel anything hard in her abdomen but her underside feels very warm. Could it just be the stress or should I be concerned?

5. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Has her abdomen gotten bigger over time? Does it feel kinda like a water balloon? I am asking because if she hasnt laid an egg and is has before and if there a build up a fluids it could be that she internally laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by