Beating the cruel AZ heat

Redmogur

Chirping
Feb 24, 2023
I have six ladies in Mesa Arizona and since we don’t have a swamp cooler or misting system for them near the coop, we froze, partial water bottles and put them out on the hottest days. Also, we have plastic containers we feel with freshwater that they can wade in. And best of all! We started making chick-sickles for them. In plastic containers, we froze fruits, vegetables, spices and meal worms, and let the chickens have fun with them on the hottest days! If you’re in the Phoenix and surrounding areas, you know, we had the hardest summer on record. And our flat toughed it out successfully! Hope that helps!

Attachments

• IMG_2817.jpeg
    IMG_2817.jpeg
    353.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2816.jpeg
    IMG_2816.jpeg
    452.8 KB · Views: 4
Careful with overloading them with frozen treats, too much fiber can cause diarrhea which causes dehydration and frozen things actually warm bodies up. Treats in generalcan throw off their nutrition.
Wet mash feed is a great way to hydrate your hens. Shade, wading pools, moist diet baths and fresh water. :]

Careful with overloading them with frozen treats, too much fiber can cause diarrhea which causes dehydration and frozen things actually warm bodies up. Treats in generalcan throw off their nutrition.
Wet mash feed is a great way to hydrate your hens. Shade, wading pools, moist diet baths and fresh water. :]
Thank you for the tips !

I am so sorry for the heat you are experiencing in Arizona. It is so difficult to manage our flocks in this heat. When the heat index is above 95, I am bringing mine into air conditioning. I have to...I cannot handle the stress of knowing they may get heat stress.

I am so sorry for the heat you are experiencing in Arizona. It is so difficult to manage our flocks in this heat. When the heat index is above 95, I am bringing mine into air conditioning. I have to...I cannot handle the stress of knowing they may get heat stress.
Thank you, we are hashing it out lol

Back
Top Bottom