Beatrix

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by BigDaddy'sGurl, Aug 22, 2010.

1. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    [​IMG]

This is a pic of my andalusian hen Beatrix. We bought her under the warning that she was a "wild chicken" and had been allowed to free-range and run loose to the point that hope was lost for her to ever tame up. Within 24 hours of bringing her home, she escaped and eluded us for over a month! We did the whole hunt at night, trap, etc. thing with no luck until one really hot day a couple of months ago. We had a dog get into our coop and release all our birds so while making repairs we moved all chickens to another coop. We left the original coop door open to go inside for a minute and looked out and low and behold, there was Beatrix drinking water in the newly repaired coop! I sent my 9 year old daughter out the back door and she snuck behind the coop while the hen was none the wiser and slammed the door, trapping the chicken. At first she was rather sullen and upset and scared by the whole scenario but we segregated her and fed her (she was starving!) and put her in another coop with a couple of quiet birds and now, she is our lap-chicken! She is truly our favorite and sweetest bird ever! You open the door to walk in and she struts up clucking and if you sit down she leans onto your hand to be picked up : )

Just had to share the story of my sweet girl Beatrix! Oh, and she is a mommie now! She doesn't know it yet but I gathered some of her eggs and hatched them! The resulting chicks are mixed with my cochin roo but I got some beautiful colors and all with feathered legs, lol. We even got a solid white chick from a dark andalusian hen and red cochin roo! : )

2. GlitterKitty

GlitterKitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Aww! Yay Beatrix! [​IMG]

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Nice story! I love happy endings!

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    She has quite the crown!

5. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    What a comb! [​IMG]

6. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    LOL about the comb! : )

When we first got her I had never seen an andalusian before and I tried my best to convince my husband that she was a rooster. Then he brought me an egg and I had to change my beliefs on the subject. She is very "regal" with her comb/crown.

I like to think she is being stylish-you know-side swept bangs... : ) (her comb nearly covers the eye on one side)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by