Because I am an adult

Personal thoughts.....everyone should carry at least 20 dollars in cash.

Several years ago my son was surprised by going to get lunch and his debit card was not working. Yup no cash and no lunch.
Turns out there were fraudulent charges on his account and the bank locked it down. Nope he did not get a text etc.
He was glad the bank locked his account but spent several hours very hungry because he NEVER EATS BREAKFAST.

Good thing he at least had enough gas to get home too. He commutes.

Several years ago my son was surprised by going to get lunch and his debit card was not working. Yup no cash and no lunch.
Turns out there were fraudulent charges on his account and the bank locked it down. Nope he did not get a text etc.
He was glad the bank locked his account but spent several hours very hungry because he NEVER EATS BREAKFAST.

Oh boy! :eek: :th

:eek: :th

A lot of places have a $10 minimum because of the CC thing which I think is good.

I always have cash on me. I prefer to use it whenever possible. I don’t always have a ton with me, it varies depending on how much I’ve spent haha, but I always have some. And usually I have a ridiculous amount of ones and change I can’t get rid of for anything :th
Thats a good idea. I should charge her a 20 dollar minimum. Maybe then she will have cash :lau

I wanted to explain this so badly to her. Years ago I had to have my car towed but the tow company wouldnt take a CC if it was under 100 bucks to tow it. Luckily the guy felt sorry for me and took my card anyways. Ever since then I've carried at least 20 dollars but I like to have 100 on me just in case

My other thought is...what did she mean by saying "cause I'm an adult"? Is that the implication that I am not? Or is it just the statement of why she has no cash? 🤔 either way it is not a good reason to not have some emergency money. Especially since she was leaving her house when she texted me. That means she doesnt even have 3 dollars lying around the house. This just seems irresponsible to me :thmaybe I'm just bad at "adulting" by being a crazy ol' farmer:old but it's nice to have a few bucks on hand in case that ice cream man goes by:wee

This is more of a rant than anything but I'm open to hearing your stories.

A little background: my sister and I are a day, a month and a year apart in age. You would think that we would be close but we are not. We are polar opposites.

Anyways we got chickens 2 years ago and now we are hooked. We're actually hoping to expand what we have so we can have meat birds and egg layers. Right now we just have 8 laying hens. Any eggs we have excess of we sell to friends and family to supplement the cost of feed and put us toward the bigger goal. Anything beyond that we donate to the food pantry.

Yesterday my sister said she needed eggs and she was going to stop by to pick them up. We used to deliver them to her if we were in town until she began to take advantage of this so now she must pick them up. Anyways she texted me saying she had no cash and if she could just use my paypal. She has asked me this before and I told her no. When she arrived at our house she told me I need to "be more professional with my business" to whit I informed her that we are not a business and we are not making money off this. I also informed her that we always have change and she could have stopped at an atm. Then she said it was not on the way. I inquired how she doesnt have at least 3 bucks on her and then she said something thats been nagging at me:
"Because I'm an adult"

Um...what? Not sure how adult that is. Anyway let me know what you think or your own personal stories. She owes me 3 bucks now.
Sisters! What can you do. I have a problem too.

When she arrived at our house she told me I need to "be more professional"
(where's the eyeroll emoji)
Give her what she asked for. 'Friends and family' $3 cash, or 'professional rate pampered hen eggs' $7 with a 3 dozen minimum. PayPal accepted. Tack on a late pick-up fee if you can.
Remember: friends are God's way of making up for family.

Last edited:
I NEVER EVER use a credit/debit card. (Well ok, except for online purchases which I only do super infrequently.) I have found that I spend waaayyyyy more if I have the capacity to just get anything I want instead of knowing I only have a limited amount of cash in my pocket. I also squirrel away “emergency” cash in the car- as previously stated you never know when something like needing gas or a tow will come up. My parents pretty much ONLY use cards-for the tracking convenience etc. both of us have been in situations where having the other option would have been easier, so I guess whatever works for you Is the way to go.
However, since these are your eggs and she has done this kind of thing before, you may want to adopt a “no eggs till you pay” policy. And just let her know that since it costs to feed the chickens you have to sell to paying ”customers” first. I actually did this with my family that was taking my extra eggs for free. Now they still get some if I have an abundance, but they understand that people that pay will get first dibs.

Back
Top Bottom