Because I sooo need a pigeon...

BlueMoon-N-Farm

Chirping
6 Years
May 17, 2013

Very long story short, he sits in my palm, refuses to leave, eats food from my hand, I've only had him for half an hour because the people who did have him were threatening to hurt him.
I don't plan on keeping him, but while I have him I need to learn everything I can about them to make sure I am carring for him correctly.
He follows me around. i literally put him outside in hopes he would take off and do his little pigeon thing and he started following me back inside lol
I gave him some non medicated chick starter and water, stuck a stick in there for him to perch on, and every time I walk past him he calls to me by cooing. Very cute.
So, anyway, any suggestions? Gender ideas? Or anything i should be doing for it?

When it comes to gender of a pigeon it is best to ask another pigeon.

It is lays an egg it is female.

Or it it does a courtship dance like this it is male.

Well, when it gets miffed it poofs its chest out so maybe its a boy?
I tried letting the little guy outside to see if he would just fly off, and at first he did. Half an hour later he came back and perched on the window until I went out to get him.

He looks young to me. Pigeons need a deeper water dish. They use their beak like a straw. They also love to have a pan about chest deep to bathe in. Your perch looks fine but they really prefer a flat perch. Wild bird seed is a decent substitute feed. Provide grit in a separate dish. Thawed frozen peas are a healthy treat pigeons love.

Where are you located? Please be careful when looking for a new home. I love my Pigeons and will not let them be used for dog training. Pigeons are highly intelligent and make good pets......

He looks young to me. Pigeons need a deeper water dish. They use their beak like a straw. They also love to have a pan about chest deep to bathe in. Your perch looks fine but they really prefer a flat perch. Wild bird seed is a decent substitute feed. Provide grit in a separate dish. Thawed frozen peas are a healthy treat pigeons love.

Where are you located? Please be careful when looking for a new home. I love my Pigeons and will not let them be used for dog training. Pigeons are highly intelligent and make good pets......

Thats what I thought, hes very friendly and does not mind me but he was getting so anxious in his pen today that I let him outside to fly around again. He is now perched on the roof and i'm beginning to wonder if i should go out and get some sort of bird house for him and let him come and go as he pleases instead of locking him up when ever he comes back to me.
I don't think i'll be able to find him a home since not even the local pigeon breeders or even the racing pigeon group in Massachusetts have yet to get back to me.
And don't worry I am very good at re-homing animals, I would only let a pigeon person take him.
Thank you very much for the advice, i have oats I've been giving him as a treat but i'll give him those until I can get some seed tomorrow.
Any idea of what kind of house i should get for him? Because right now hes just staying in a old rabbit hutch.
I can access the roof, and actually I think hes pecking at the window to come in right now.
If he stays outside will filling up the bird bath work work as a thing to splash and play in?

Pigeons are so smart. Yes he may use the bird bath for water and bathing. Just keep it clean. They always taste the water first. If it tastes okay he will jump right in! They are so funny too. Stand back or you will get wet!

For a house.....he might come back to the hutch at dusk. Leave the door open, food/water inside and see. If he feels safe and out of the elements, he might just be happy with it. If you want to put something up higher, I would recommend some type of wood/plastic box with a wide opening. Place a little straw/hay in it. Pigeons like to nest/sleep on a ledge under an eave that does not move in the wind.

If it were me.....I would open the window and let him in!
big_smile.png
If you spend time with him, he will bond with you. If that does not matter, just keep him well fed until he discovers a nearby flock to join. I'm sure you are aware, but I just have to say.... a lone pigeon is a prime target for hawks/falcons. Do you have a barn or shed? You could easily train him to fly inside if he needs cover.

I housed my Pigeons and Ducks together until we built the Duck/Guinea house. The Pigeons roosts are up high so they got along fine. I do not let my Pigeons out because most are rescues with various problems. I did have to put the Pigeons bath tub up on blocks to keep the ducks out of it. I don't think they liked the poopie duck water.
tongue.png

Pigeons are so smart. Yes he may use the bird bath for water and bathing. Just keep it clean. They always taste the water first. If it tastes okay he will jump right in! They are so funny too. Stand back or you will get wet!

For a house.....he might come back to the hutch at dusk. Leave the door open, food/water inside and see. If he feels safe and out of the elements, he might just be happy with it. If you want to put something up higher, I would recommend some type of wood/plastic box with a wide opening. Place a little straw/hay in it. Pigeons like to nest/sleep on a ledge under an eave that does not move in the wind.

If it were me.....I would open the window and let him in!
big_smile.png
If you spend time with him, he will bond with you. If that does not matter, just keep him well fed until he discovers a nearby flock to join. I'm sure you are aware, but I just have to say.... a lone pigeon is a prime target for hawks/falcons. Do you have a barn or shed? You could easily train him to fly inside if he needs cover.

I housed my Pigeons and Ducks together until we built the Duck/Guinea house. The Pigeons roosts are up high so they got along fine. I do not let my Pigeons out because most are rescues with various problems. I did have to put the Pigeons bath tub up on blocks to keep the ducks out of it. I don't think they liked the poopie duck water.
tongue.png

the hutch is currently in the garage as we use it as a sick pen when ever we have something wrong with the chickens (knock on wood as we have only used it once for a broken foot) so unless I leave the garage door open I am not sure if he will be able to get in or know to get in through the window.
Hes also being a brat at the moment, I opened the window to let him in and he cooed at me and snubbed me...Waddled away and poofed his chest out then vibrated like he does when I pet him to much haha.
I'm working on a temporary nest for him at the moment since he does not seem keen on going back into the house at the moment, I have a plastic tub I can put up on the roof with a big rock in it, some straw and sawdust until I can get his food and HOPEFULLY nest box for tomorrow.
I do have the garage and a window I can keep open in it 24/7. So if I can train him to that if you have any tips on how I can do that?
We also have local crows who help keep the hawks away, its not fool proof but at least it and my own is a little bit of a help.

My ducks wont go into a house...I have four of them, and they refuse to use it...butt heads...
Anyway, if he figures out the chicken coops then that's even better :D then he will be safe when ever he wants to be while I teach him the window thing.

Awe that's so great of you :) At least they have such a great place to stay!

Sounds like he has lots of options! Since he is already familiar with the hutch in the garage.....I would leave the door open and see if he comes back to it. Well....has he used the door to go out when you have let him out of the hutch? What ever he has used will be what he is familiar with. I guess what I'm trying to say is.....training takes consistency. If you want him in the garage, set it up as home. If you want the chicken coop as home....set it up as home. It would help if you could put him 'up" every evening, for a few days, wherever you want him to be. If you choose the chicken coop....he will need a separate roost, higher than the chickens. As long as he is not picked on he could adopt the chickens as his flock.

As far as training tips go.....food is key! Pigeons are always hungry and looking for a tasty treat. Mine have Pigeon grain available 24/7 but when I step into the aviary they act like they are starving! Of course, I always have goodies! Every one of them will fly( if they can) or run right to me. Ideally, he needs to know you are the food wagon! Rattling the feed can at each feeding will help teach him this. Feed him at bedtime but take it away. He needs to be a bit hungry when you let him out in the morning. After about an hour or so, go to his "home" and rattle the feed can. It won't take long for him to figure it out. If your chickens are already trained to come to you for treats....he probably will get the idea too.

Thank you so much for saving this precious bird. It's been 8 years since I rescued my first Pigeon. He is still the love of my life! :eek:)

Sounds like he has lots of options! Since he is already familiar with the hutch in the garage.....I would leave the door open and see if he comes back to it. Well....has he used the door to go out when you have let him out of the hutch? What ever he has used will be what he is familiar with. I guess what I'm trying to say is.....training takes consistency. If you want him in the garage, set it up as home. If you want the chicken coop as home....set it up as home. It would help if you could put him 'up" every evening, for a few days, wherever you want him to be. If you choose the chicken coop....he will need a separate roost, higher than the chickens. As long as he is not picked on he could adopt the chickens as his flock.

As far as training tips go.....food is key! Pigeons are always hungry and looking for a tasty treat. Mine have Pigeon grain available 24/7 but when I step into the aviary they act like they are starving! Of course, I always have goodies! Every one of them will fly( if they can) or run right to me. Ideally, he needs to know you are the food wagon! Rattling the feed can at each feeding will help teach him this. Feed him at bedtime but take it away. He needs to be a bit hungry when you let him out in the morning. After about an hour or so, go to his "home" and rattle the feed can. It won't take long for him to figure it out. If your chickens are already trained to come to you for treats....he probably will get the idea too.

Thank you so much for saving this precious bird. It's been 8 years since I rescued my first Pigeon. He is still the love of my life! :eek:)

So...To be very honest for two days I thought he was gone. I was sure he had flown off to home or something. Well....Guess what ambushed me as I was walking out of my door? My little Pigeon! He landed right on my head! My head! I have never had that happen before!
So, it looks like he will be staying and even though the window was wide open he did not go back into the garage to get to his house.
I need to figure out a house for him. I'm worried that the cats might be able to get into the rabbit hutch hes in if I leave it open...
But! Ah haha this is so cool, he actually came back to me :D
So...I'm getting bird seed today, possibly a bird house/pigeon house if tractor supply has one, and then....I dont know, should I get anything else for him?
And of course I need to name the little bugger.

Back
Top Bottom