Giving one week old pigeon baytril?

evietheevil

In the Brooder
May 26, 2022
Hello!!! Our pigeons have a one week old baby and he had been doing great, but yesterday he seemed to be breathing kind of hard but we thought it might be because it was hot out…today, he’s breathing more heavily and it makes a clicking sound, so we were suspecting some sort of respiratory infection…we have baytril 10%, but i can’t find anything on the correct amount to give a pigeon of this age. Really don’t want to end up giving him too much. If anyone knows what to do, please let me know
It seems like it’s not even possible to give him a small enough amount to be safe for him, but I can’t get a clear answer as to how much pigeons are supposed to get at all…i’d guess we need to dilute it with a certain amount of water before giving it to him
With 60% humidity it feels like 91° out here, I don’t know if the heat and humidity is also making it harder for the baby to breathe…should they be brought inside?

Last edited:
Hi, I have no experience giving that medication so I have no dosage advice, sorry.

I will say that the behavior you described also mimics the way a fearful/angry squab will behave. They’ll puff up, click their beak, and breathe heavily. Is he doing this constantly or just when you check on him? Wishful thinking that you just have a squab with a bad attitude :)

Is sun beating down directly onto/into the nest area? As long as the squab is in the shade it should deal with the heat alright. Maybe put a small fan against the outside of the loft if it’s really hot.

One can dilute the Baytril by mixing it with distilled water. It *must* be distilled because Baytril binds with the calcium in tap water and makes it ineffective.

How much to dilute depends on the current weight of the pigeon, but I was thinking 1 ml Baytril to 9 ml distilled water. That gives you a 1% solution.

The does I would use is 15 mg/kg twice a day.
Math for a 100 gram pigeon is:
.1 x 15 / 10 = 0.15 ml

Hi, I have no experience giving that medication so I have no dosage advice, sorry.

I will say that the behavior you described also mimics the way a fearful/angry squab will behave. They’ll puff up, click their beak, and breathe heavily. Is he doing this constantly or just when you check on him? Wishful thinking that you just have a squab with a bad attitude :)

Is sun beating down directly onto/into the nest area? As long as the squab is in the shade it should deal with the heat alright. Maybe put a small fan against the outside of the loft if it’s really hot.

Thanks so much for the information!! It does actually sound like he’s probably just responding to me checking on him, because I did notice that otherwise he never seemed sick—he’s very alert, always demanding food from his parents, grooms himself etc…and good to know that they’re fine so long as they aren’t in the sun, their spot is kept in the shade so they should be good :) whoops haha my reply is glitching a lot hopefully this will send

One can dilute the Baytril by mixing it with distilled water. It *must* be distilled because Baytril binds with the calcium in tap water and makes it ineffective.

How much to dilute depends on the current weight of the pigeon, but I was thinking 1 ml Baytril to 9 ml distilled water. That gives you a 1% solution.

The does I would use is 15 mg/kg twice a day.
Math for a 100 gram pigeon is:
.1 x 15 / 10 = 0.15 ml
Great to know, thank you!!

Thanks so much for the information!! It does actually sound like he’s probably just responding to me checking on him, because I did notice that otherwise he never seemed sick—he’s very alert, always demanding food from his parents, grooms himself etc…and good to know that they’re fine so long as they aren’t in the sun, their spot is kept in the shade so they should be good :) whoops haha my reply is glitching a lot hopefully this will send
Typically respiratory infections seem to manifest themselves with other symptoms than just breathing, including lethargy and a puffed-up appearance. How’s he doing today?

Here’s a video of an angry pigeon squab. Sounds a lot like what you described.

Typically respiratory infections seem to manifest themselves with other symptoms than just breathing, including lethargy and a puffed-up appearance. How’s he doing today?

Here’s a video of an angry pigeon squab. Sounds a lot like what you described.
He seems to be doing well, he’s really lively doesn’t seem lethargic at all— behavior seems the same as that angry pigeon squab. But his parents have been concerning me today, a couple times today when I checked on him neither of them were in the nest with him…when I put them back they wouldn’t sit on the baby until he crawled under one of them himself…they’re in the nest with him now, but I don’t know why they’re acting odd today, I’m afraid they got confused when we changed out the straw in their nest…I just hope they’ve still been feeding him, I’m not sure how often week old squabs are supposed to be fed, hopefully they’ll go back to being good parents—not sure if we’re going to have to intervene and care for the baby

They were probably just avoiding the nest because it’s so hot out. After the squabs are a few days old mine don’t spend much time with them during the day besides feeding because they don’t really need the body heat when it’s 90+ F.
As long as he has a mostly full crop I wouldn’t be too concerned

They were probably just avoiding the nest because it’s so hot out. After the squabs are a few days old mine don’t spend much time with them during the day besides feeding because they don’t really need the body heat when it’s 90+ F.
As long as he has a mostly full crop I wouldn’t be too concerned
Ohh, okay great that’s a relief

Back
Top Bottom