Bedding Dilemma :(

tmarr

Chirping
Jul 15, 2015
Hey guys had a problem with my hens crop last night, she'd been eating long grass I'd left for the ducks (quick version!). I've been using grass and shavings for the ducks and hay for the hens and rabbit. If I cut up the grass and hay small will this help the hen? Or what could I use instead? Just shavings would be too expensive :(

Using grass as bedding is a terrible idea, for the reasons you just listed. Is your little girl okay? Was she able to get treatment for her impacted crop?

Using grass as bedding is a terrible idea, for the reasons you just listed. Is your little girl okay? Was she able to get treatment for her impacted crop?

She's great thank goodness! No more long grass! :)

I have found that straw/hay works best for my ducks. It is long enough that they can form their nest in it but it seems to be something that they have minimal interest in eating. I get what are called two string bales from Tractor Supply. It is Coastal Alfalfa which has a level of nutritional value if they do decide to eat some of it. It is absorbent enough. Less easy to scoop out soiled amounts than are shavings but with my crew that is o.k. It has to be changed weekly anyway. I pay less than 10 dollars per bale. One bale takes care of chicken coop, two duck houses and one goose house. I use more in the winter for the warmth.

She's great thank goodness! No more long grass!
smile.png

WHEW! Thank goodness! Poor birdie! Good on you for recognizing the signs as quickly as you did.

I have found that straw/hay works best for my ducks. It is long enough that they can form their nest in it but it seems to be something that they have minimal interest in eating. I get what are called two string bales from Tractor Supply. It is Coastal Alfalfa which has a level of nutritional value if they do decide to eat some of it. It is absorbent enough. Less easy to scoop out soiled amounts than are shavings but with my crew that is o.k. It has to be changed weekly anyway. I pay less than 10 dollars per bale. One bale takes care of chicken coop, two duck houses and one goose house. I use more in the winter for the warmth.

I'd been making my own hay by drying out grass and giving them all some fresh to nibble/forage. I'm a bit reluctant to use farmers hay/straw as it has been quite dusty. Store bought is way too expensive as is shavings :(

I'd been making my own hay by drying out grass and giving them all some fresh to nibble/forage. I'm a bit reluctant to use farmers hay/straw as it has been quite dusty. Store bought is way too expensive as is shavings
sad.png
What area are you located? And can you give me an idea about an acceptable price range? That will help is suggesting solutions. Also, what square footage (width and length) are we talking about for bedding. If you have been giving them grass cuttings I am guessing you have access to a large enough piece of property that produces enough grass to use in this way. If you mow and catch usually the clippings are small enough to be safe. But if one of your birds overdid it and ended up with a impacted crop it may be that they were trying to supplement their feed and overdid it. How old are they?

Back
Top Bottom