Bedding for baby chicks????

I'm not going to be able to go until morning. I live a ways from town. I'm sure they will be ok until then. They haven't spilled any water and it looks rather dry in there. They have scattered their food all over so maybe that will help give them traction.

Paper towels are good for the first few days, as they give better traction and are absorbent.
On the third or fourth day, (when they discover they can shred them) you should switch to clean sand or pine shavings.

Last edited:
I've always used sheets of newspaper, usually a couple thick, to line the bottom of my chicks' box. Never had any problems related to the newspaper itself. However, I've also been putting a layer of grass clippings in on top of the newspaper. Not so much for safety, though--more just because I think it makes a more natural, comfortable environment for the little buggers. It gives them something to scratch through and play around with and nestle down in (they even eat a little). I think anything like it, such as wood shavings, straw, leaves, whatever you have around, would work for that purpose. Once it gets funky inside the box, it's a simply chore to carefully roll up the newspaper, keeping all the grass and poop inside, and then bury the whole lot in the compost heap.
The newspaper itself is OK as a lining, I think, but you should definitely put something else on top of it so they can scratch and play around in a natural way.
Hope this is helpful,

Aloha,
Sky

I went to 3 places today to find my pine shavings. Got them in there with my babes...I was up all night checking on them.....I've got chicken fever!!!!lol Making sure the temp was just right. I remember doing this with my human children. :aww I love my little girls!!

You can also use shelf liner. You know, the rolls of foamy stuff you put on pantry shelfs? Its easy to spray off and dries quick. It can be reused and newspaper can go under it to soak up spilled water and stuff.

Newspaper is bad because the ink makes it smooth and slick and they can't get traction. It can cause a condition called splay leg (also called spraddle leg) and it takes a lot of effort to correct.

Quote:
Awww you are a good mommy.
smile.png

How old are the little chicks? You can start letting them outside for short periods of time with supervision to let them scratch and dirt bathe. Just keep an eye and if they appear to be getting cold bring them back in. You can start with about 5 or 10 mins at a time.

I am sure the reason newspaper is bad for them is because of the ink. I got this bedding in Pet Food Express that is recycled paper. It is grey and fluffy and is supposed to be more absorbent. I got that instead of chips because I figured it would bbe more comfortable to walk and sleep on for new chicks. I am not an expert, this will be my first batch of babies. But DEFINETLEY take out the newspaper and put some paper towels in the meanwhile. I have no dought that the ink would be poisonous to any animal.

They are only 5 days...I've been sectioning off one....IDK....sprangled leg or whatever....they step all over it...seems better....eating drinking pooping regular...sleeps more. Yes anything for keeping babes alive. Some of our weak beginners become strong ones....even in humans! I love my babies.....great for my kids. The cat doesn't even care.
gig.gif
He checked them out a couple times and went back to bed. Just like my hubby!!!! was that mean....sorry!
wee.gif

Just a note: No DH here!
smack.gif
he thinks my chickens are a waste....but likes the eggs....but can spend $ on hunting like no other! Sorry for the vent...
roll.png
hmm.png
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom