Bedding for chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Princess Lay-a, May 27, 2010.

1. Princess Lay-a

Princess Lay-a Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Great Falls
    Just wondering about a substrate for my 1 week old chicks, due tomorrow.
    I have a 70" kiddie pool, I know that would be too slick. What is good to put at the bottom? [​IMG] Newspaper, shavings, coffee chaff or something else for the little buggers to scratch, poop and play in? [​IMG]

2. NancyinAlaska

NancyinAlaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Willow Alaska
    Use rubber type shelf paper, rubber matts, or paper towels.....................something that will keep their little legs straight and will not allow them to slip and slide newspaper, and the plastic will not support their legs, and wood shavings are not good for at least a week, they will eat them. Good Luck!!

3. SugarDuck

SugarDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Lamar, AR.
    I didn't know it wasn't good to put shavings down for them at a young age? We, did and it seemed to work out ok for us. I know we kept your Pekin ducks in a plastic kiddie pool for a while. Was much easier cleaning up after them and they seemed to like it. Chicks should be easier to keep in it I would think.

4. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I use alphalfa hay.

First couple of days I cover with paper towels and sprinkle crumbles on them. After a day or two they know where their food container is and I remove the paper.

5. Princess Lay-a

Princess Lay-a Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Great Falls
    [​IMG]
    Oh good to know! I'll cover the bottom with paper towels and wait on the shavings then. Has anyone used coffee chaff before? I heard it's great in coops, but didn't know if the younger birds would like to smell like Java![​IMG] LOL!

6. fastpat

fastpat Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:In about one to two more weeks your chicks will no longer remain in that pool, they'll be out and about whatever area you have the pool in.

I bought a bale of Aspen chips first, worked very well, completely scent free. When that ran out, I bought a bale of pine chips at our local feed and seed store, has a bit of the normal pine smell and it's working well too. The chicks were on newspaper the first 24 hours only, until I was certain they were eating their food and not the chips and drinking okay.

Everyone is fine so far at nine weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by