Bedding for nesting box

missmychicks

Songster
12 Years
May 10, 2011
One of our girls has decided she only wants to sleep in one of the nesting boxes. Looking for suggestions for easy cleaning for the poop. :rolleyes:

Well admittedly I have been catering to one hen only because she's 7 1/2 and unsteady enough that she's not making it to the roost (wasn't even making it into the coop at times, she's better now). So I removed the fake egg from the least used nest box, added extra hemp and padding, and hubby reports that she makes it into the correct box about 75% of the time. In the morning I just do a quick scoop and sift and it's easily clean enough for laying in (if I actually had more than one active layer at this time of year :rolleyes:).

Last edited:
Actually I have an elderly hen too, that is ostracized by the flock. In the evenings she has to wait until they are all asleep or settled and then she slips into one of the nest boxes that is on the floor. This box is not actually used by anyone else for laying. And often no clean out is necessary, if so, it’s a quick scoop. I use shavings in this one.

Back
Top Bottom