Bedding in duck house?

Soon2BChixMom

Herding ducks and Wrangling chickens
Jan 8, 2017
What bedding do you use? Did you change from one to another before deciding on what works best for your ducks?
I was planning on pine shavings (floor is painted plywood), but I am not sure this is the best bedding for ducks? It works well for the chickens though. Of course, I am judging it on how it is working in the brooder. But, since I have to clean it out daily to cut down on smells in the building, it seems like it is a waste.
With the chickens, I clean out coop poos daily and use a modified deep litter in the run. Due to the type of poos ducks deliver it doesn't seem like this sysem will work? Or do I just leave the pine shavings in the duck house and clean out once a week?

I like pine shavings. I top it with hay in the winter for added warmth. The shavings absorb the liquid of their poo and allow me to spot clean daily, only changing the shavings after a week or so. If you do not want to be cleaning a lot, do not allow them food and water in the house. Mine have a small, covered, attached run where I leave food and water.

I like pine shavings. I top it with hay in the winter for added warmth. The shavings absorb the liquid of their poo and allow me to spot clean daily, only changing the shavings after a week or so. If you do not want to be cleaning a lot, do not allow them food and water in the house. Mine have a small, covered, attached run where I leave food and water.
Oh, right. I am not going to allow the food and water in their house. I didn't even think of that adding to the mess. :thumbsup

I use straw. Send a picture of the duck house so I can tell you better
It is still being put together, but it is a repurposed step 2 playhouse. The bottom is a pallet with plywood on top and painted. Here are pics of the pallet/plywood bottom. You can see it in the second pic behind my duckling and his pool. :)
I can get a screenshot of the playhouse if you like, but currently I only have my "build" photo with one side done - fixing hw cloth to the openings. :D it is a slow process - cutting hw cloth that is, plus the weather is just now cooperating. ;)
20180422_131204.jpg
20180423_152808.jpg

Back
Top Bottom