Bedding

we always had chickens growing up, we live in the Kansas City area, and we always just use straw. You would be able to easily clean it out and then you could actually use as mulch later on.

During the day try raise/hold the curtains up using clip or pin them to their boxes roof, and bring them down at night to avoid any one sleeping in the boxes and pooping all night long. That's how we do it, and it works. What kind of breeds do you have. Our silkie needs a stool to get to the nesting box.

I have bar rock new hampshire reds buff rocks delaware cukoo marans blue marans and rhode island reds they wont lay in the nest they lay on the floor

Hi There! Not sure how cold your winters are but sand in the winter tends to be cold. I LOVE sand but as soon as it got cold out I could tell my girls were not happy walking on it. I ended up putting pine shavings on top of the sand so there was more insulation. Sand also tends to hold moisture, once it started getting cold my coop windows would have condensation on them, once I put the pine shavings down the coop dried up.

I like the idea of sawdust! I may try that next year!

I've always been a sawdust girl but for this winter am trying sand in our 14x9 coop. I currently don't have drop boards in yet (I will) and have been using a kitty litter scoop and rake under the roosts but I like I can quickly get rid of their waste and whatever disease/parasites it may have out of there. On that same vein I like having the ability to examine the poop to see its consistency, even each bird by knowing where they roost so I can monitor changes. Birds are good at hiding symptoms but they can't hide their manure.

In addition I love sand for composting because in my area there's nothing but crappy clay.
Hi There! Not sure how cold your winters are but sand in the winter tends to be cold. I LOVE sand but as soon as it got cold out I could tell my girls were not happy walking on it. I ended up putting pine shavings on top of the sand so there was more insulation. Sand also tends to hold moisture, once it started getting cold my coop windows would have condensation on them, once I put the pine shavings down the coop dried up.

I like the idea of sawdust! I may try that next year!

We get the large flake, premium shavings from Tractor Supply. They cost a little more, but they fluff up nicely and there is almost no dust. They are definitely bigger than the ones you show in the picture. They may not be as absorbent as finer shavings, but we really like them. I think there is a Tractor Supply in Georgia.

you raise a very good question we live where it gets as cold as you, and we too use the wood but were thinking of the sand I sure hope someone answers your question cause I'd like to know too Best to ya Keepin the girls happy!!

I've seen people recommend sand in the hen house, but unless you have a fully insulated hen house, it can get cold underfoot. And - assuming you don't have a fully insulated hen house, pine shavings (not saw dust) provides very good insulation underfoot and is very easy to deal with, especially if you use the deep litter method. Sand in the run is another thing altogether. In the run, the sand drains better than anything else and the chickens don't seem to mind the temperature of the sand, since it's virtually the same as the ground outside (this is particularly true if you let your chickens free range.

I really dislike when people use sand in the run if they do not free range. Sand does not get bugs, plants, and seeds like a deep litter of plant matter and dirt would. Add hay, garden scraps, and leaves to keep it drier periodically. It is better for them to play in, and it is more natural.

I completely agree with you, in fact I'd take it one step further. I think all chickens should be allowed to free range! It's better for the girls and they produces much healthier eggs when they're allowed to scratch for bugs and other critters. One added benefit - since we've had our chickens free ranging around the house, the spider population in and around the house has been reduced dramatically.

We get the large flake, premium shavings from Tractor Supply. They cost a little more, but they fluff up nicely and there is almost no dust. They are definitely bigger than the ones you show in the picture. They may not be as absorbent as finer shavings, but we really like them. I think there is a Tractor Supply in Georgia.

I normally use the TS shavings in the sleeping and nesting areas, but lately I've been trying out premium down bedding. It's easy; just have all of your hens molt at once - instant luxury feather bedding for all!

Back
Top Bottom