Bedding

Thank you, Everette! We'll be reading through this info and deciding what is best to do. We have 5 RIR in a tractor which is connected to an 8x10 run and we move both pieces about every 3 days. The girls run free on our acre from about noon to near dark, so we don't have a lot of waste left in the the tractor "club house" floor, which is about 4x4 ft. Does the Deep Litter Method apply to our situation from your point of view?

Gecko Chick: I'm admittedly a newbie myself, so I can't speak from experience. But from everything I've read, the deep litter method can be used regardless of how slow or fast the chicken poop builds up. The only difference is how often you have to add more 'bedding' and how soon you have to clean it all out. It's mostly a question of whether you want to implement that method or not. The deep litter method works best on the bare dirt floor of a stationary coop, as that way it partially composts in place, and the chickens mix moisture and bacteria from the ground in with the bedding as they scratch. However, it will still work on a wood (or other) floor, there just won't be much composting "in place," as the manure will dry out before it really gets a chance to be broken down by bacteria. Of course, it also depends somewhat on the design of your chicken tractor (the 4x4 coop). If it doesn't have raised lips at the chicken door (or other openings) then the deeper you make the bedding, the more it's going to get dragged out of the coop before you want.

Gecko Chick: I'm admittedly a newbie myself, so I can't speak from experience. But from everything I've read, the deep litter method can be used regardless of how slow or fast the chicken poop builds up. The only difference is how often you have to add more 'bedding' and how soon you have to clean it all out. It's mostly a question of whether you want to implement that method or not. The deep litter method works best on the bare dirt floor of a stationary coop, as that way it partially composts in place, and the chickens mix moisture and bacteria from the ground in with the bedding as they scratch. However, it will still work on a wood (or other) floor, there just won't be much composting "in place," as the manure will dry out before it really gets a chance to be broken down by bacteria. Of course, it also depends somewhat on the design of your chicken tractor (the 4x4 coop). If it doesn't have raised lips at the chicken door (or other openings) then the deeper you make the bedding, the more it's going to get dragged out of the coop before you want.

You got it. But if it does it would be as much as you think.

Back
Top Bottom