Beeeeeeeeeeees!!!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by SarahBeth9394, May 18, 2009.

1. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    My hubby called me out back to show me the pineapple sized group of bees hanging from the plum tree. Yikes. I hope they are just stopping in for the night. A friend told me that it's migration season so they may just be here for a couple of days. I just hope the dogs don't get attacked.

2. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    Oh cool....are they still there?

The reason there's a swarm is they have their queen and their looking for a new home.

Either this is a "wild" swarm---very rare these days to find but very high on a beekeepers list because they are very hearty and can survive the elements.

Or someones local hive from their bee farm has produced a second queen and that queen just took off with half the hive attendants....means they were not watching their hive very good and let the queen cells develop and they just LOST half their hive...not the best day for a bee farmer.

so go outside with a cardboard box and scoop them up to act as your make shift honey hive box and then if you can get them to stay...you've got at least 800# of free honey coming up at $5 a lb. in these parts....but you'll have to hurry and get them an exeptable hive.

search honey bees and I'm sure you'll find some suggestions here...Miss Prissy has a little top bar hive you can look at.

or if you're not into it...wave and say goodbye...they won't stay long...they are just resting and some flight bees are canvasing the neighborhood for a hollow tree or some home exceptable.

or call your local ag. extension for your local bee assoc. # and someone would be happy to run and capture them.

3. SarahBeth9394

Aug 23, 2008
    If they are still here Wednesday I'm gonna call the extension center. As good and tempting as homegrown honey sounds I am not a huge fan of bees. I have a friend who is an exterminator but he doesn't do bees because he got stung through the suit to many times. If a beekeeper wants to come take them they can be my guest. I'm not dead set on killing them. I just want them to find a home elsewhere. I'll be gone all day tomorrow so it will have to wait a day.

4. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Please dont kill them. I'm not an animal rights wacko, but honeybees are disappearing so quickly now they may become endangered very very shortly. Call your local extension, they more than likely know the name of someone who will rush right over and take them off your hands without them being hurt. Where are you at anyways?

5. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    Im not an animal right person either..

But please dont kill the bees.. they are disapearing from lots of places..

Without bees.. We will not have food..

6. SarahBeth9394

Aug 23, 2008
    I only called my exterminator friend because I knew he could tell me who to call to at least have them removed. They are a good source for local info and we've only been here (central TX) for 3 years. If I were a bit more brave I would capture them and raise them for honey. But I'm not getting within 20 feet of them.

7. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

I know we have some bee keepers here. If one is close to you they might scoope them up if they have a hive they can move them into. I don't know diddly about bees though. Good luck!

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:No sure where your at but would glad to come get them if your near.

They are not to bad unless they are a wild swarm.

Yes dont kill them, they will be gone within a week.

Its the old Queen, the workers will be full of honey, so will not be to mean. Just moving to a new home.

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    See where you are, little far for me..

Yes call someone for sure, think in your state farther south, they may have the killer bees.

Would call someone before they move on just in case, more likely not but would have them checked.

Not to scare you,they would be rare.

10. SarahBeth9394

Aug 23, 2008
    Hubby didn't notice them till he was about 3 feet from the hive and they weren't aggressive. When he saw them he backed away real quick. You know wild flower honey is my favorite and it's wild flower season. Hmmm. Man my hubby would call for the men in white coats if I suggested we catch them for the honey.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by