Been crying all afternoon, thoughts on solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason I recommended diapers is because that will allow you to keep them inside the house instead of in the garage. The garage is nice but how hot does it get in there in the summertime? Many people's garages get much to hot to house animals in.

Our coop is 10 degrees cooler then outside without the fan. It gets over 100 and can be mid 90's for weeks with high humidity. I've a special place for them in our basement on the really hot days. We are installing either a ceiling fan or a big metal fan before the summers heat to avoid bringing them inside. Lucky enough, it's only hot 2-3 months out of the year. We installed a heater and wrapped the coop in plastic for the winter as it gets -20F or colder. We have a wireless thermometer to keep an eye on the inside temp. We now have good shading on our run with a roof and side panels.

I've made diapers before with my sewing machine. I was going to use them in case of an emergency. My darn dog chewed them all up. I had them lined with plastic. My hens hated it, so start them young on diapers. Opening the door will bring in a nice breeze. The super hot days, feed them watermelon and freeze a few gallon jugs of water(don't fill to the top for expansion room) and set it in the coop or run. If I keep my big garage door closed, it keeps it cooler as well. They will get use to sprinklers too and will walk in the cool water. I will put my roasting pan out in the run with ice water for them to cool their feet.

You'll learn from your own experiences. Good luck re homing the ones you can't keep. That's the hardest part. I'd never be able to do that. I think I might have a rooster and there will be no way I'd ever be able to give that chick up. We are allowed boys, but my hubby said no way would he want a crowing boy around.

lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
clap.gif
Old Chick....man, that would be a sight I would love to see with your Jeep and the HOA folks!

awesome suggestions nicole! thank you! they love strawberries from the garden now, so i am sure they will enjoy the melons growing!

ETA: One of my top fav chicks is a boy. I have a huge list of people i am working through of my friends and their family to find the *best* home for him!!

Last edited:
From your description of your situation, it appears you are currently stuck!

Choice 1) You could bite the bullet, get rid of all of your chickens, and then save,save,save, pick up odd jobs, collect cans, clean houses, wash cars, deliver pizzas, etc......................... and use the situation as tackling fuel to get geographically to another location much sooner rather than later.

Choice 2) Stay in current situation and bring minor, or major, discomfort to you and your husband by bringing six chickens into your living space.

Choice 3) Cull down to two chickens and keep in a large parrot cage and change litter daily.

Choice 4) Find someone with like chicken passions as yourself with a mini-farm close by and move all of your chickens there with the agreement that you will help with the upkeep of their place.

One thing's for sure, you don't need to sit around and cry and get migraines. You don't sound like you enjoy playing the victim role at all. Besides it is the most undesirable of life's roles.

no, i am certainly not trying to play the victim, i am just desperate not to lose my pets now. bc they really have become loved pets of mine.

i have options for amazing homes for them all but if I can keep a few, I am fighting for them!!! :)

Quote:
i love the idea of diapers...especially if i win this and can then walk them!!
wee.gif

my garage is good though, it gets a tad warm in the mornings, but cool all evening and night. and i would bring them out in the back yard to roam and peck and scratch just like my dogs get outside playtime. I also have fans and if i win the city codes battle I can also open the doors all the way up for breeze since i can seemingly have them on the INTERIOR of my house!
cool.png
how about some pictures of you and your chicks. you know you could keep them in the garage and leave the garage door open, harbor frieght has screen doors for garages cheap, and then they would get fresh air, you could even put a fan in the garage blowing the stink out into the street. Ya that jeep idea is fun. i had neighbors that bothered me cause they were nosey, so what i did was cut the roof off my f250 like a ferarri and paint green flames on the front with a rattle can. i wish i took a picture of that. drove it for a month or so. wouldnt you know it, the day after i cut it off it rained the rest the summer, so when i would get home i had to tarp the cab so i could drive it with dry seats to work in the mornings.

LOL, i actually wanted to cover the garage doors on the inside with the same sun screen netting as on top of the run. its dark enough to make it hard to see, and would allow plenty of air when i opened the doors. but...i have to be sure i got clearance from my city first, and then its on to the next adventure in coopland!

these are the girls i am trying to keep:

shadow the barred rock

Princess Lay-a the Birchen Cochin (?)

Suzie Q the speckled sussex

Sara the Dutch Bantam

i seen um on the other thread good lookin flock and i like your coop too, i might steal them ideas as im a pallet wood kinda guy, i heat with it and build with it.

i love my coopaloop :) i am sure once it is cleaned out and repainted it will make a lovely playhouse for my daughter. we made a pallet fence too! i want to build some patio stuff out of them next!

LOL, i actually wanted to cover the garage doors on the inside with the same sun screen netting as on top of the run. its dark enough to make it hard to see, and would allow plenty of air when i opened the doors. but...i have to be sure i got clearance from my city first, and then its on to the next adventure in coopland!

these are the girls i am trying to keep:

shadow the barred rock

Princess Lay-a the Birchen Cochin (?)

Suzie Q the speckled sussex

Sara the Dutch Bantam
What a nice looking flock! I love having a mixed flock. I could not decide on the breed, so out of 11 chickens I have 9 different breeds. I liked them so much this past year I added 3 more. It's so much fun to have babies again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom